Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #131
wasso fett

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
anyone who said no is a liar, i'd hit it and let you smell the sausage after

Old 02-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #132
zephid

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasso fett View Post
anyone who said no is a liar
or they just have a different taste in women than you.

zephid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #133
TheonGreyJoy

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephid View Post
Except that there is no such thing as objective beauty. The closest thing to it is who/what the majority of people finds beautiful, but that doesn't mean that that person or thing is objectively beautiful.

Beauty is a man made concept and it's based on personal preferences.
Yes since beauty is a man made concept then man can define the concept. that is how it works.

And yes if we had all the people on the planet vote and rank people by beauty we would get a list where we could separate those who fall into the top 10%, 20% etc.

Since getting all the people to vote is impractical it is also appropriate to use polling samples to represent the whole which is accurate within some tolerance.

And I am saying, with confidence, that Ronda would poll high and in the top 10%. I base this on being around lots of normal healthy sexual males and seeing their preferences and knowing lots of guys who are completely into the tall thin, athletic blond look. And Ronda is uber fit which put her quite high on many lists.

TheonGreyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #134
TheonGreyJoy

Purple Belt

Quote:
or they just have a different taste in women than you.
'different taste' does not determine if a woman is good looking or not. if it does then there is no such thing as a good looking woman as you will always find someone who does not like her. Just go to any celebrity woman posting in this forum and you will find guys who say they don't like her.

That is why, again, my position removes singular subjective taste.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #135
zephid

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheonGreyJoy View Post
Yes since beauty is a man made concept then man can define the concept. that is how it works.
Yes we can define what we mean with beauty, but we can not define what actually is required for something to be beautiful.

beau∑ty noun \ˈbyŁ-tē\
: the quality of being physically attractive

: the qualities in a person or a thing that give pleasure to the senses or the mind

: a beautiful woman

The fact is that you will have to use your subjective opinion in order to define who/what you consider beautiful.

Quote:
And yes if we had all the people on the planet vote and rank people by beauty we would get a list where we could separate those who fall into the top 10%, 20% etc.

Since getting all the people to vote is impractical it is also appropriate to use polling samples to represent the whole which is accurate within some tolerance.
Which just means that we would get a list of what the majority of people find beautiful. Majority's opinion =/= objective truth

Quote:
And I am saying, with confidence, that Ronda would poll high and in the top 10%. I base this on being around lots of normal healthy sexual males and seeing their preferences and knowing lots of guys who are completely into the tall thin, athletic blond look. And Ronda is uber fit which put her quite high on many lists.
I don't deny that a lot of people might find her beautiful and attractive. I'm just pointing out that there is no such thing as objective beauty.

If there were such a thing as objective beauty the concept of what kind of women are considered beautiful would be the same throughout history and throughout the world. But it isn't. People in every age in history has had a different "opinion" of how a beautiful woman should look like. You will even find that the opinion of who is considered beautiful will also vary a lot between the different parts of the world. That wouldn't be the case if objective beauty existed.

Last edited by zephid; 02-11-2014 at 12:43 PM.
zephid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #136
Prairieboy

Black Belt

vCash: 50
***s on sherdog get more excited for an Akiyama photo shoot.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #137
flanellograf

Red Belt

vCash: 50
Actually find this latest one to be a lot better:

MVP
It's Showtime
Hespect Honda Houseys Heputation
Immortal
Thatchy Fili
Coach Bang
flanellograf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:36 AM   #138
MaveDeltzer

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanellograf View Post
Actually find this latest one to be a lot better:

First she was Roddy Piper, then Ric Flair and now HBK. Pick the wrestler you want to be and stick with it.

MaveDeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #139
TheonGreyJoy

Purple Belt

Quote:
Yes we can define what we mean with beauty, but we can not define what actually is required for something to be beautiful.

beau∑ty noun \ˈbyŁ-tē\
: the quality of being physically attractive

: the qualities in a person or a thing that give pleasure to the senses or the mind

: a beautiful woman

The fact is that you will have to use your subjective opinion in order to define who/what you consider beautiful.

Which just means that we would get a list of what the majority of people find beautiful. Majority's opinion =/= objective truth

I don't deny that a lot of people might find her beautiful and attractive. I'm just pointing out that there is no such thing as objective beauty.

If there were such a thing as objective beauty the concept of what kind of women are considered beautiful would be the same throughout history and throughout the world. But it isn't. People in every age in history has had a different "opinion" of how a beautiful woman should look like. You will even find that the opinion of who is considered beautiful will also vary a lot between the different parts of the world. That wouldn't be the case if objective beauty existed.
M'eh I don't want to waste any more time on this.

The term beauty is only subjective. It is man made and subjective. It is not objective. therefore we 'man' can define and within that subjective definition we can determine who fits.

it does not have to be an objective truth for the members to fit the class when the class (beauty) is subjective by definition to begin with,