Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #41
Franklin U.

Black Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysianwing View Post
I thought Mousasi looked hurt in the last 5 seconds or so of the fight, actually.
He took a shot to the top of eyelid but just covered up knowing there was under 5 seconds left...after watching him eat those round house kicks to head and jaw and just forward through...damn,knew he had an iron chin but that was ridiculous.

Franklin U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #42
Elysianwing
Mr. Mojo Risin' Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin U. View Post
He took a shot to the top of eyelid but just covered up knowing there was under 5 seconds left...after watching him eat those round house kicks to head and jaw and just forward through...damn,knew he had an iron chin but that was ridiculous.
Only one of the kicks landed flush though, the others(which appeared to have more heat behind them) were all toes. I think if (I think it was) the third kick landed the way the first did, Mousasi would've been in heaps of trouble.

But yes, he does have an impressive chin.

Elysianwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #43
Jocke

Brown Belt

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy View Post
machida obviously won that fight but if i was a judge , i woulda given it to mousasi just to teach machida a lesson to not always backup.. even though there's no rule saying he cna't do that and it's very effective.. i dont' care. i don't wanna watch that.
Then close your eyes son.

I feel like statistics doesnt work as well for MMA as other sports. Determining things like significant strikes is utterly subjective. With handegg you can't say "well he did rush a 100 yards but it was done pretty slowly", it is what it is and as such works better. Not just strikes either, how do you score takedowns? What if someone gets taken down but stands immediately, still counts? MMA judging is forever a subjective thing and no amount of stats will probably be able to tell the whole story like just watching it would.

Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #44
Iwearspeedos

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ambush View Post
I prefer mmadecisions.com over fightmetric to be honest.

Fightmetric is good for the stat nerds but it doesn't capture the notion of fighter-y having a far more dominant round than fighter-b's non-dominant round. The bottom line is in MMA we have become puppets subjected to numbers and points jumbled in our heads, losing focus of who actually wins the fight.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/487...Gegard-Mousasi
I doubt you understand the principles of the 10 must system.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #45
bjpennlwgoat

Orange Belt

vCash: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy View Post
machida obviously won that fight but if i was a judge , i woulda given it to mousasi just to teach machida a lesson to not always backup.. even though there's no rule saying he cna't do that and it's very effective.. i dont' care. i don't wanna watch that.
sigh.

bjpennlwgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #46
Thai Domi

Brown Belt

The judges and most of SD were mesmerized by dat hand jive.

Thai Domi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #47
NYCfights

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Then close your eyes son.

I feel like statistics doesnt work as well for MMA as other sports. Determining things like significant strikes is utterly subjective. With handegg you can't say "well he did rush a 100 yards but it was done pretty slowly", it is what it is and as such works better. Not just strikes either, how do you score takedowns? What if someone gets taken down but stands immediately, still counts? MMA judging is forever a subjective thing and no amount of stats will probably be able to tell the whole story like just watching it would.
The way FightMetric calculates significant strikes is decidedly NOT subjective. It's impossible to tell how much a strike hurts another fighter, which is why striking techniques that can cause damage (distance strikes and power clinch and power ground strikes) are deemed significant.

Takedowns, submission attempts, every statistic FightMetric tracks are all given strict statistical definitions. Every distinct set of statistics in sports must adhere to a strict set of rules, definitions, and guidelines. And, no, a "flash takedown" isn't scored a successful takedown.

NYCfights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #48
SnitchInsider

Green Belt

The fight was close. Whoever won the 5th won the fight, and Machida won the fight. It's not a big deal, and the Fightmetrics aren't far off.