Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #31
jjthenextchamp1

White Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuayThaiBX View Post
Some people overrate how "dominant" Silva was. Yes he didn't lose and yes he finished almost all of those opponents but some were competitive fights before Silva caught his opponent with a good strike leading to the finish. Forrest, Franklin , Okami, and Leben are the only fights where I remember AS dominating from start to finish.
This is really the only two things that matter when discussing Anderson Silva...when anyone brings up what another fighter was doing before they lost or any of that other b.s..it's just that b.s. and hating. And for anyone to act like Silva wasn't clowning his a$$ off when he finally lost shows that they just don't like him for whatever reason. I'm not saying he wouldn't have lost anyway...I'm not taking anything away from Chris Weidman...but he won in the midst of his opponent disrespecting his skills and it doesn't matter that he got away with it before, he didn't this time. All that's left now is for Weidman to beat a focused Silva and prove that he is the best now and it wasn't a fluke. Leben was his first fight, Franklin was for the belt and when he fought Forrest everyone was on his case about lackluster fights...Silva can turn it on when he wants to. We just have to wait and see if he still has it or not. I am actually a fan of Silva's skills and fighting style, so I hope that he finishes him in grand style in the first round, but if his time is up then so be it.

jjthenextchamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #32
TampaBayBoxer**
Banned

Silva in the cage is like Michael Jordan on the court with a college hoops player. He might fuck around and make shit interesting, maybe try some shit out and not worry too much about the score... but when he wants to impose his will he fucking does it. Somehow Chael put him in danger their first fight and who knows what the story really was on that one, maybe Chael was just too strong or unorthodox or whatever... But other than that in the UFC Anderson is a fucking legend and has been consistently entertaining against the best in the world in what I would consider to be a more dangerous weight class than 170.

So yeah, Anderson is in my opinion the greatest UFC fighter who has ever lived.

TampaBayBoxer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #33
cade187
I'm not a part of your system.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniswhiz View Post
Anderson has dominated about half his opponents.
Actually, besides Franklin, Leben, and Forrest, he hasn't really dominated anyone.
The first round against Okami was reasonable, Okami pushed Silva against the cage, and Silva floored him once at the end of the round.

He has been "losing" against several of them, but then ended them within the span of a few seconds. Chaelx2, Lutter, Hendo, Vitor, and maybe even Bonnar were "winning" their fights against him.

So that's the debate. Yes, Weidman was "winning" against him. In Silva's fights, "winning" is irrelevant until the fight is actually over, because Silva can end it in an instant.
Some people think that he played too much and got caught, and that he actually had Weidman in precisely the same situation that he had various other guys, but this time it blew up in his face. That's the way I see it.
But Weidman has a certain skill set, so I'm not absolutely positive that Anderson takes the rematch.
not sure if serious...

Old 12-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #34
ironfist05

Brown Belt

the term GOAT is very subjective and I can totally see the logic behind picking GSP/Silva as the UFC GOAT

with that said...
http://www.fightmatrix.com/all-time-mma-rankings/

but I do agree that it's kind of ridiculous that people are suddenly dropping Anderson so much because of one loss

I will be attending Johns Hopkins next year
ironfist05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #35
dawnslayer

Brown Belt

Yeah he dominated Maia alright... that was a fucking disgusting 'fight.'

dawnslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #36
tenniswhiz

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cade187 View Post
not sure if serious...
If the round ended before the finish, Silva loses 10-9.
As I said in another post, Weidman commented that Bonnar was doing well and "winning" so far.
That's all I meant, don't make a big deal of it.

tenniswhiz is offline   Reply With Quote