Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #321
Power of Pain
Banned

vCash: 500
Only in a MMA discussion forum would you see stupidity about how Jone's size is the only reason he has succeeded as champion, because they have no clue to how Boxing works in MMA.

He is not a good boxer. He does not utilize the jab like that and does not throw too many straight punches.

He keeps his distance with KICKS and when he closes in then he throws elbows and knees.

The real damage comes when he is inside with his Muay Thai and wrestling.

Only time his reach really made a difference was against Machida.

Power of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #322
DocK

Orange Belt

vCash: 50
Beats guy bigger than him, proves he relies on size. Got it.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #323
thatone

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got GOAT View Post
On paper he did. Too bad so many fans, fighters and everyday Joe's that watched the fight scored it for Gus. Like Jones said, he takes his "win" over Gus as a blemish on his record and there will always be an asterisk/star by it.
Yea people love to hate Jones. People gave Gus creak credit for doing better than expected. The judges almost all mma media, an the ref big Jon had Jones winning the fight. Basically everyone who's job it is to be non biased.

thatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #324
Power of Pain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamaican View Post
Because people were pointing to the lopsided nature of Jones' wins as indicative of his superior talent and claiming that his size had nothing to do with his success.

However, when he fought a similar sized opponent, he did not achieve a lopsided victory. He won a closely fought decision.

Nothing else about the quality of his opponents had changed except the size. Machida, Rampage, Shogun, Belfort, etc have all been champions so they are very good fighters. Gus is also a very good fighter. So if size was irrelevant, Jones should have beaten Gus with the same ease.

He didn't. That fight just made clear that part (emphasis on "part") of his success comes from his size advantage.

Or it could be that Gus is a much better boxer than ever other fighter Jones fought and had great takedown defense?

Power of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #325
TNT-Kid

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power of Pain View Post
Or it could be that Gus is a much better boxer than ever other fighter Jones fought and had great takedown defense?
Sorry but what you said makes too much sense. It will go right over users heads.

"Tyson is what, 55 years old? he cant teach him (Hendricks) anything.. boxing is different" - UFC 2012
TNT-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #326
iloveufc123

Brown Belt

vCash: 119
If size was everything.

Struve would be heavyweight champion.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #327
Got GOAT

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatone View Post
Yea people love to hate Jones. People gave Gus creak credit for doing better than expected. The judges almost all mma media, an the ref big Jon had Jones winning the fight. Basically everyone who's job it is to be non biased.
I said both were great fighters. However, Jon himself said that he views his victory over Gus as a blemish on his fight record. That's not hating, that's Jon being honest with himself and the people for once (even though you don't want to hear or accept it). Jones watched the fight more than 10 times (his words) to come to the conclusion that he "decisively beat Gustafsson".

A person that knows they beat a guy decisively wouldn't even have to watch the fight, let alone rewatch it 9 or more times. Plenty of unbiased people and pro/UFC fighters scored the fight for Gus including Dan Hardy and Josh Barnett (an American wrestler with Jones' same base).

1-0 in account bets
1-0 in sig bets
Got GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #328
MartialPopTarts
PESSIMISTIC PULSATIONS

vCash: 104790
Anyone with a brain in their head would have expected Jones to have difficulty with someone who has been boxing since they were a kid. I used to get annoyed at the 'Jones hate' but it's more amusing now. Jones is where most people who frequent this site on a daily basis would love to be. He made his dreams reality, and most here still live it as a fantasy. I think that makes him the winner all day over random detractors.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:57 PM   #329
ithinktheymad

Blue Belt

vCash: 350
It is one variable of many. Jon has bad footwork and gimmicky striking. He faced someone much faster than him who could actually stoo the shot.

ithinktheymad is offline   Reply With Quote