Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #41
samoajoe

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Their fight wasn't close and in 2008 it would have been even more one sided because Lyoto had never been knocked out yet thus wouldn't worry as much about the H bomb.

samoajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #42
CerebralKnievel

Purple Belt

TS goes from 0 to psychotic in one page. Well done.

CerebralKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #43
JKS

Titanium Belt

I think that style wise Machida was still a tough match up for Hendo and I still think he would have won that fight. I recall Dan fighting Rich Franklin around that time, and even though he won it was a very close fight. With that said, I think Machida would have the capability to do better then Rich. Machida was in a good grove at that time, he beat a few top LHW's around 08/09.

Regarding Machida at MW?? Yah…if he would have made the move earlier I think he would have done very well and been champ for a long time. Anderson at LHW?? Who knows…..he killed everyone but never really fought a top fighter at the time aside from Forrest. I still think Anderson would have the potential to be champ at LHW, the division was Rampage, Couture, Rashad, Shogun, Forrrest, Bader, Chuck at the time.

Wand
Shogun
Nog(s)
Anderson
Dos Santos
Sergei
Vitor
Barnett
Aldo
Jacare
Erick Silva
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #44
the ambush
Room 237

vCash: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by daweedy View Post
In his prime Shogun was just as fast as Machida and Rashad. Even in the UFC he matched Machidas speed. You are using MMA math as someone else said before, and you are taking examples of Shoguns worst performances. I could easily do the same for Silva.
People also said Shogun was tailor made for Chuck and Machida since he is aggresive and plods forward. Look how that turned out.
I am not saying Shogun would win or even be the favourite, but I am 100 percent sure he would be the best striker Silva has ever faced (excluding Weidman maybe)
If Silva would have fought the same opposition that Shogun did his record would have never been so good.
Weidman' striking is a little difficult to gauge. On one hand he's beat Silva 2x however Silva was on the downward slope of his career, remember how quick Fedor started losing consecutive fights?

Too early to tell.

the ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #45
heavenly kaghan

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Strongly disagree. I think stylisticaly Andy would have problems with any kind of version of Shogun. And stories when they were training together in chute boxe support my theory not yours. Shogun was supposably beating Andy in sparring all the time. Shogun would actually be one of the harder mathups at lhw for AS
Shogun is a one dimensional fighter with little ground game. He might bang with Anderson standup, but once it hits the ground it's over.

heavenly kaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #46
Cptn1NSAN0
shows no mercy

Machida still beats 2008 Hendo.

Rory's going to beat down everyone in the welterweight division.
Cptn1NSAN0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #47
Deleroux

Green Belt

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ambush View Post
Weidman' striking is a little difficult to gauge.
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-...ilva-weidman-i

Deleroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #48
daweedy

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenly kaghan View Post
Shogun is a one dimensional fighter with little ground game. He might bang with Anderson standup, but once it hits the ground it's over.
Disagree again Shoguns ground game would be a big factor in beating Andy. More then his striking. You kind of have to remember, Shogun took down every opponent he fought outside of Jones. His ground and pound is crazy. If it would be Shogun landing the same amount of strikes than Sonnen did I guarente it would end badly for Anderson.
To beat Andy he would have to mix his grappling with his striking and use leg kicks a lot.

daweedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #49
Captain_Dammitt

Purple Belt

I love up coming fight hype threads

Captain_Dammitt is offline   Reply With Quote