Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #31
DrHouse

Silver Belt

vCash: 1579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigj383 View Post
Sherdog was excited for the HW tournament at first but that interest waned as the tournament went on..

It's not the tournament format people give a shit about it was the fighters in the tournament. UFC bronze would be like a Bellator tournament which no casual fans give a shit about. People only care about tournaments if the prize is worth it and they care about the fighters involved. In the end you are stuck with the same problem.

If we had an 8 man tournament
Chris Indich vs Vik Crujic
Neil Magney vs Rodrigo Goiana de Lima
Robert Whittaker vs Mike Rhodes
Kuiichi Kunimoto vs Daniel Sarafian

Would anyone give a shit about that tournament? I would think no. Because arbitrary tournament don't mean anything and have no value.
The interest waned because the tournament dragged on, that's the only reason people stopped caring.

As I said in my first post in this thread, I don't think TS' idea is gonna work but I do have belief in a tournament format. You have a tournament with guys who are about 3 fights away from a title shot, those guys aren't nobodies and people will care. I'm talking about top 15-20 guys that fans know, guys who will have earned a title shot if they can run the gauntlet.

As for Bellator, I talk a lot of shit about them but their tournament format has worked for them in the past. Look at Michael Chandler, before the tournament, nobody knew who he was or even cared. Now he's one of Bellator's flagship fighters, that's because people became familiar with him having seen him fight so often over a short period of time. If that worked for a complete nobody, imagine what it could do with a guy who has already caught some attention from the casual fan.

DrHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #32
Lito Lapida

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
great Idea!!!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
didn't read

Lito Lapida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #33
Bigj383

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post
The interest waned because the tournament dragged on, that's the only reason people stopped caring.

As I said in my first post in this thread, I don't think TS' idea is gonna work but I do have belief in a tournament format. You have a tournament with guys who are about 3 fights away from a title shot, those guys aren't nobodies and people will care. I'm talking about top 15-20 guys that fans know, guys who will have earned a title shot if they can run the gauntlet.

As for Bellator, I talk a lot of shit about them but their tournament format has worked for them in the past. Look at Michael Chandler, before the tournament, nobody knew who he was or even cared. Now he's one of Bellator's flagship fighters, that's because people became familiar with him having seen him fight so often over a short period of time. If that worked for a complete nobody, imagine what it could do with a guy who has already caught some attention from the casual fan.
Chandler became a flag ship fighter for Bellator not because of the tournament but because he beat Alvarez. When Chandler was put against Alvarez no one thought he deserved the fight regardless of winning the tournament. People thought Eddie would steamroll him. When he won it gave him that one fight to put him over and that's what it takes. That one fight to put you over.

It doesn't matter the format give a fighter enough exposure and if he performs during that exposure they will catch on. That's the key for the UFC in the future. Up until recently there has been a massive lack of exposure for undercard fighters.

As far as taking guys 3 wins away from the title and putting them in a tournament of course it would be popular. It's top 15 fighters competing so it's taking established fighters who already are ranked and putting them in fights. Now we are back to it being the fighters not the format. Popular fighters make people watch regardless of tournament or simply carded fights.
The SF tournament started to lose interest because Fedor and Werdum lost and Overeem dropped out. Eventually an unknown who wasnt originally in the tournament wins the whole thing.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #34
DrHouse

Silver Belt

vCash: 1579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigj383 View Post
Chandler became a flag ship fighter for Bellator not because of the tournament but because he beat Alvarez. When Chandler was put against Alvarez no one thought he deserved the fight regardless of winning the tournament. People thought Eddie would steamroll him. When he won it gave him that one fight to put him over and that's what it takes. That one fight to put you over.

It doesn't matter the format give a fighter enough exposure and if he performs during that exposure they will catch on. That's the key for the UFC in the future. Up until recently there has been a massive lack of exposure for undercard fighters.

As far as taking guys 3 wins away from the title and putting them in a tournament of course it would be popular. It's top 15 fighters competing so it's taking established fighters who already are ranked and putting them in fights. Now we are back to it being the fighters not the format. Popular fighters make people watch regardless of tournament or simply carded fights.
The SF tournament started to lose interest because Fedor and Werdum lost and Overeem dropped out. Eventually an unknown who wasnt originally in the tournament wins the whole thing.
Beating Alvarez was definitely what put him in that position, but winning the tournament helped.

The big issue with fighter exposure today is that these guys aren't fighting as much, a tournament would ensure the guys are fighting. A tournament format will attract viewers more than just them fighting whoever, a tournament makes the sport a lot easier to follow.

The StrikeForce tournament turned into a farce, that doesn't discount the level of excitement it created among MMA fans. A well organised tournament with a number of legit step ins, it would run way more smoothly.

DrHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 PM   #35
Konster
White Belt

This is a horrible idea and you should feel bad.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #36
SlicerDM

Green Belt

vCash: 641
Not a bad idea.