Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:36 AM   #71
daniel san

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Except that Cormier has the frame of a MW but due to his great skills was able to beat several ranked HWs. Really looking forward to this fight, but ideally, if Jones wins, I'd like to see him fight at HW and not fight a fat MW that stopped binge eating at Popeys.

daniel san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #72
Kelman

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natman2939 View Post
Getting two things out of the way real quick:
1.I realize Cormier is fighting at 205 right now, and that's completely beside the point, for a superfight one person is always going to have to change weight classes whether it's the smaller guy going up or the bigger guy going down

2. I realize there have been other LHW's that have fought HW's (couture vs sylvia and couture vs gonzaga) but I don't feel either of those fights were as high level as this one is. As much as I love Randy Couture, I think he'd lose to either Jones or Cormier, and so would Sylvia for that matter.

And thus we get to my point: People have always been interested in superfights. The champion of one weight class vs the champion of another weight class. This isn't exactly that per say because Cormier wasn't the hw champion but when he left HW, he was ranked in the top 2 of contenders, with only JDS being his equal, and many felt he could very possibly beat his training partner Cain Velasquez, but much like wand/shogun back in pride, they chose not to fight each other.

So considering it is very similar to a pride wand/shogun situation, many could almost think of Cormier as something like a second champion or an uncrowned champion
(at the very least a "easily could be champion")

Cormier holds wins over the #4, #6, #9, and #10 ranked Heavyweights in the world

and now he's about to fight the UFC Light-heavyweight champion.

In my mind, this is as close to Heavyweight Champion vs Light-heavyweight champion as we've ever seen, and may ever see unless Jones wins and wins his next few and goes on to face the heavyweight champion directly
Without a doubt, this is a superfight, yes. Undefeated Strikeforce HW GP winner vs effectively undefeated UFC LHW champion. I can't remember or think of a better fight in MMA. Can't wait for this one.

Kelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #73
RageRoider

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Salad View Post
Nah. Pettis hasn't even defended the belt yet and has been laid off for a long time. I'd like for him to at least defend it once so either him or the winner could fight Aldo at LW for their belt. No way Pettis deserves to move down to fight Aldo for his belt.
Pettis is at money division ,he shouldn't be one moving down...

RageRoider is offline   Reply With Quote