Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
Marbig

Purple Belt

vCash: 1439
Similarity between arts

When I first started cross training earlier last year, I thought the difference between styles were like night and day. However, as time went on, I've started noticing some "golden rules" which are applicable to all arts:

- "posture before submission": this saying obviously comes with bjj but is applicable to others as well. For example, when doing an ogoshi in judo, you will want to close the distance first and lower your elevation before attempting the throw. Likewise, in boxing, you will need to be standing in the right place before being able to throw punches effectively - e.g. positioning your lead leg in between your opponent's to maximize the effects of your straight punches while taking away his.

- "kuzushi": another underlying theory I've spotted is the whole idea of messing with your opponent's balance. Whether its pulling your opponent's arm out and forcing him onto his toes before a throw or slightly elevating your opponent with one foot before scissor sweeping him, having your opponent unstable is a good thing. In striking, this is a bit harder to spot but it is still there. In boxing, seemingly unrelated things like constantly patting someone's glove or having your head out of the center line actually have the same underlying goal: to get your opponent to over/under reach. In the first scenario, the opponent gets frustrated and ends up barging in while, in the second, the opponent thinks your head is further away than it really is. In both scenarios, you are actually trying to do the same thing: to mess with your opponent's balance and get them to over commit. By putting too much weight onto their front leg, the opponent ends up with less mobility and makes them easier to knock down.

- Head tucked in: pretty easy one. in all arts but one (wrestling), having the head locked in place is a good thing.It decreases the chance of a knockout happening in striking arts and you getting choked out when grappling. It also stops you banging your head onto the floor when you get tossed.

Does anyone have anymore similarities they've spotted? I just find it very interesting how very different arts can have such similar principles. I think that by learning these theories, you can reach the next level much quicker and is way more interesting/useful than repeating the old 1-2 in front of the mirror everyday. This is why I ask.

Cheers guys!

P.S. This isn't limited to judo/bjj/boxing either. I just use these examples because these are the three I train in.

Marbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
BareKnucklez

Green Belt

vCash: 50
Theres lots of similarities in the striking arts too. Lots of the same or similar techniques, just different names.

BareKnucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
Sharknado

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BareKnucklez View Post
Theres lots of similarities in the striking arts too. Lots of the same or similar techniques, just different names.
Same thing with greco-roman wrestling and judo. Some of the trips and throws are exactly the same, just with different names.

Official driver of the Yusuke Urameshi hype train!

"How can there be any logic in biological war?" - Megadeth
Sharknado is offline   Reply With Quote