Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
IMWarrior

White Belt

vCash: 500
Looking for an expert

Hey guys,

This may be a bit of a long shot but I know theres a huge range of talented, experienced and knowledgable guys on here.

What I'm after is someone who can help me create and write an ebook. The ebook is going to focus on improving and perfecting your takedown defense.

After health issues I can no longer train so want to create a training info product. Although I know a little, there will be guys on here who maybe have a solid defense and know the best drills/techniques etc to improve.

I have done research and used this forum and some of the stickies for some great info but it's not all specifically targeted to takedown defense.

I will also be looking to interview several pro fighters who have outstanding takedown defense records.

As I said may be a longshot but would appreciate any input and suggestions. There will of course be something in it for person who helps.

IMWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
kajgod

White Belt

i'm not a wrestling expert, i just wanted to write: good luck, and don't give up!

...before a bunch of keyboard warriors who never fought in their life start bashing you for wanting to write a book about fighting while not a world champion.

kajgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
WillW

Orange Belt

Like the idea.

Are you looking for a fighter to get on board? since its in the ask the fighters forum.

I think someone like Jack Slack would be a good guy to partner up with. He has a few e-books, Never seen them, but he has a good reputation among the MMA community. Putting his name behind it may bring in a few more buys.

best of luck.

WillW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
IMWarrior

White Belt

Thanks for the input guys, not necessarily a pro fighter, definitely someone with knowledge.

I would love to interview pro fighters with excellent proven takedown defense.

I posted in the ask the fighters section as wasn't sure where to post.

IMWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
styleten

Orange Belt

I did what you are doing. I learned about the sport before joining it. You will run into a few problems. People will judge your personal fight results and use that to give credit or discredit to your knowledge. If you didn't wrestle and repackaged advise from sanderson people would see you as an unproven outsider and discredit you. Often want to wrestle you and after beating you discredit your efforts cause they them self are better and they them self haven't created a writing project.

Before i got into mma i was a book worm. I read like 12 hours a day some times more just drinking tea and coffee. While it was a great time in my life i was weak, soft, and docile.

I became interested in MMA and started consuming content. Mostly instructional. Sure when i went to a gym i was weak and soft and out of shape but my brain was capable of understanding what people were doing. I knew the difference between the omo and the gogo plata. While i could teach the move to someone, i couldn't apply it live on anyone.

Same with anything i learned. I'd learn from different resources put what i learned on paper. Then I'd condense what i learned. Publication first took place when i let others see my work. You can do the same thing. The easier way to not get rejected is to give the information to people not in the sport. Generate interest with people who haven't yet built an ego.

A quote. Something like. "Its easier to teach a novice who knows nothing about something complicated then it is to teach an intermediate about something basic."

The people who resist you or become defamatory are those intermediates. Accept you are talking to the wrong audience when they stop being helpful. Direct your attention to people unrelated to your content and try to inspire them to take up what you are promoting as a new hobby.

You want to study take down defense. great. don't expect to influence wrestlers in the community, Expect to influence people to join the wrestlers in the community.

Follow that mentality and you shouldn't quite when people try to get in your way.

styleten is offline   Reply With Quote