Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #51
ejazahmednit

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammon View Post
I like to think getting knocked out by a 16 oz glove is a little easier on the head than taking a shin to the dome and then having that followed up with some shots that bounce my head off the canvas 3 or 4 times.
I think 16 Oz gloves would deliver more concussive force, whereas mma gloves would cause more sharp pain and cuts, but i could be wrong

ejazahmednit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #52
BIGPERG

Orange Belt

Both are dangerous?

BIGPERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #53
HIMBOB

Gold Belt

vCash: 725
Quote:
That seems like a weird trade-off. Expose brain injuries to eliminate a lawsuit, but at the same time, aren't you degrading the promotion in the public eye by actively bringing that information to light?
Think of the lawshuits against big tobacco.

Never forget the freedom fry!!!
HIMBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #54
Cake4Breakfast

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
Isn't this the study where they didn't use any actual medical data and just had a doctor watch some fights?
Yeah, I would like to see the authors present their research to a room full of academics, it would get torn to shreds.

Nietzsche
Cake4Breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #55
Sosua

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaulingMyClown View Post
Just saw this on ESPN. I'm not exactly a fan of their reporting, but I'm just wondering how Dana is gonna try to spin this. He (and myself also) have been telling people that boxing is more dangerous because of repeated head trauma whereas MMA spreads out the blows to the body more and having tap outs. What do you think comes of this if anything? Although the guy getting interviewed wasn't very concerned. Basically said that it's gonna lead to a lot more studies.
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/10...-higher-boxing
did you read the article?

Not much substance in there, and no real comparisons to boxing.

All they decided as there were less decisions than in boxing (which wikipedia could have told you).

Pretty sure 12 round boxing matches that end in decision include quite a few more punches to the head.

Sosua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #56
SuperiorHands

Orange Belt

Quote:
I like to think getting knocked out by a 16 oz glove is a little easier on the head than taking a shin to the dome and then having that followed up with some shots that bounce my head off the canvas 3 or 4 times.
Yea? Sure you'd rather that than a concussion in round four or five and then getting jabbed hundreds of times rattling your damaged brain? If there is one thing we've learned about brain damage it's that cumulative damage that is the biggest problem.

SuperiorHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #57
Grappleboxing

Blue Belt

Location: On a very long island in the Northeast United States
vCash: 550
Quote:
But what about getting back up, and taking more punishment? In mma, you can get knocked out and finished just like that.

In boxing, you can get back up, and then take more punishment.

Grappleboxing is offline   Reply With Quote