Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #211
ultramanhyata

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by groo View Post
You know who wins in a real fight with a striker vs a grappler? The grappler 99% of the time unless they slip and fall for a self KO.
Or... if they eat a straight right or a knee coming in.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #212
clift

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Been watching since ufc 1 and this is the first time wrestlers have pissed you off? lol 2/10

Old 01-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #213
Cazador

Silver Belt

vCash: 143000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAbove View Post
Point system is skewed toward wrestling improperly. You're right. Not watching might help. Might not.

I hate the last-second takedown for points s#it. But that's on judges, not the UFC or the fighters. You get a takedown with 20 seconds left, I assume you think you may have lost the round.... now I start to question if you get a 10 or a 9. You definitely didn't earn any points in my book. Unfortunately for all of us, my book doesn't matter unless you fight for Tuff-N-Uff.
I don't know why many have a problem accepting this, when at this point it's quite obvious.

Besides the last-second takedown, I'd also add the wall and stall.

Cazador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #214
Hanuman Thayarn

Blue Belt

I personally hate it when there is no action whether on the ground or standing, other than that I am into both aspects of the sport. Like others have said, learn TDD if you're a striker to maximize your game. There are plenty of strikers who have been successful with it, this isn't kick boxing.

Hanuman Thayarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #215
AkuraIchiban

Green Belt

2013 was probably the most exciting and best year thus far in MMA. Go on, you won't be missed.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #216
OldGoat

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayRyan View Post
1. I'm a fan of stand and strike fighters.. karate, muay thai, taekwondo, boxing (I kickbox).. I have a lot of respect for fighters that want to stand to win (even if they can out-wrestle the other guy). Although wrestling is the dominant style, I believe striking is where the attractiveness and beauty lies for the sport. If you just want to out-wrestle the guy for a W, I believe your skill is below that of a striker and you're exploiting MMA to move up the ranks..

2. Now that the exploitation of wrestling is at an all-time high, I feel that the sport is unbalanced. From here until the end of time (IMO), fighters know that wrestling = job security. I don't want to see a continual slide in the direction of ground fighting (albeit BJJ). I don't want to see talented strikers get held down for 3 rounds by a div. 1 wrestler. MMA is new and seems like a great idea, but the edge is building in the wrong direction..

Dana was wrong when he said, "If you're fighting a wrestler, learn TDD"... f*ck that (to an extent). The UFC knows the balance is favoring wrestlers (and growing), that's why they're firing guys like Okami and Fitch, who are the epitome of my post..

Bottom line is, the excitement of MMA bouts is shrinking as athletes catch on to the skeleton key that is wrestling... I'll probably keep watching (for the striking talent and BJJ), but I'm close to the point of leaving.

I've been watching since UFC 1, where do other experienced enthusiasts see MMA transitioning to in 5 years? Will wrestling kill off the competition?
Well, you'll be missed. Not really.

Anyways if you have been watching from UFC 1 you would have noticed that grappling skills have been useful for quite a while.

OldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #217
Hfxtc

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayRyan View Post
1. I'm a fan of stand and strike fighters.. karate, muay thai, taekwondo, boxing (I kickbox).. I have a lot of respect for fighters that want to stand to win (even if they can out-wrestle the other guy). Although wrestling is the dominant style, I believe striking is where the attractiveness and beauty lies for the sport. If you just want to out-wrestle the guy for a W, I believe your skill is below that of a striker and you're exploiting MMA to move up the ranks..

2. Now that the exploitation of wrestling is at an all-time high, I feel that the sport is unbalanced. From here until the end of time (IMO), fighters know that wrestling = job security. I don't want to see a continual slide in the direction of ground fighting (albeit BJJ). I don't want to see talented strikers get held down for 3 rounds by a div. 1 wrestler. MMA is new and seems like a great idea, but the edge is building in the wrong direction..

Dana was wrong when he said, "If you're fighting a wrestler, learn TDD"... f*ck that (to an extent). The UFC knows the balance is favoring wrestlers (and growing), that's why they're firing guys like Okami and Fitch, who are the epitome of my post..

Bottom line is, the excitement of MMA bouts is shrinking as athletes catch on to the skeleton key that is wrestling... I'll probably keep watching (for the striking talent and BJJ), but I'm close to the point of leaving.

I've been watching since UFC 1, where do other experienced enthusiasts see MMA transitioning to in 5 years? Will wrestling kill off the competition?

As long as a fighter is active I don't care where the fight takes place. I think the problem is with referees. If a fighter is on the fence, on the mat or in cases like we've seen with Machida (refusing to engage). The ref should break up, stand up and take points away. MMA fights are fifteen minute long. To see a guy like Machida refuse to engage his opponent for10 minutes (a supposed striker) is no more interesting than seeing Hendricks (a wrestler) lockup his opponent to catch his breath.

Hfxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #218
Iwearspeedos

Green Belt

Can't decide if TS or some of the answers takes the prize of stupidity.