Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #71
Vespo

White Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiyuu View Post
A lot of the traditional martial arts practitioners that I know don't like it. Saying "it doesn't represent a 'real' fight" and "fighting like that won't help you on the street."

One Wing Chun teacher talked to once said "it shouldn't take that long to defeat someone."
It would be quite amusing to see that Wing Chun guy take on a pro/high level MMartist, see how long it would take him to get defeated.

MMA is a bit too rough for many TMA guys I reckon, and that -stupid imo- cage doesn't help.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #72
shadow_priest_x

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got GOAT View Post
1) I'm well aware that Shotokan Karate is Japanese, which is the reason why I was specific with stating that I once took the American version instead. Also, American Shotokan Karate has been around since 1959, that's more than a half century. Lots of people have heard of it. There's many types of Shotokan Karate and apparently there's even French and Israeli Shotokan. American Shotokan was founded and led by Tsutomu Ohshima, a direct student of Gichin Funakoshi, the father of Shotokan Karate. I wiki'd that but you can thank the Japanese directly for that.
Oshima's karate is 100% legit but no one calls it "American" Shotokan karate. It's simply Shotokan, as passed down from the founder. In fact, Shotokan as taught by Oshima's SKA is widely regarded as being more true to the source than JKA karate is today.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #73
Degrave

White Belt

Kyokushin 4 Life!
OSU!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #74
Got GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_priest_x View Post
Oshima's karate is 100% legit but no one calls it "American" Shotokan karate. It's simply Shotokan, as passed down from the founder. In fact, Shotokan as taught by Oshima's SKA is widely regarded as being more true to the source than JKA karate is today.
It's also still called American Shotokan Karate. I can show you my uniform, my tests, and even a diploma that states as much. Or, you can just check out their official (and unofficial) emblems and logos...

1-0 in account bets
2-0 in sig bets
Got GOAT is online now   Reply With Quote