Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #41
Frode Falch
Professional Fighter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror Zone View Post
Too much hard sparring is the most common mistake MMA fighters make.

They do it at my gym as well but I don't say shit, just keep my mouth shut and go to war. It's not ideal but it's just reality with the vast majority of gyms, I'd much prefer Thai style. I do my best when hard sparring is once every week or two and I've been focusing on pads/mitts and mostly doing lighter speed and technique oriented sparring. When it's just nothing but gym wars 2-3x a week, my technique and overall development suffers. That's not even mentioning the increased number of injuries that come with constantly sparring hard.

Other people have had success with focusing mostly on sparring hard but I believe they would've had success regardless of what they did, they're exceptions to the rule. For every fighter who was successful because of that type of training, there are plenty more you've never heard of who had tons of potential but stopped altogether because of the injuries it caused. Then there are the guys who end up like the Xtreme Couture crew, notorious gym bullies like Mike Pyle and Gray Maynard who have all the damage they took in sparring to thank for their weak chins. You could throw Hieron and Griffin into that category as well.

People should really get used to the young prospects, up and coming contenders and new champions being injured all the time because it isn't changing any time soon. Young guys like Rory who pull out of fights as often as they get in the cage, champions like Pettis and Hendricks who take time off as soon as they win the belt, etc. Stuff like that is becoming the norm. Josh Thomson is another guy who's been plagued by injuries over his career, I've seen him spar firsthand and he treats it like it's a fight. It's no coincidence.
Thats a good post man.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #42
Frode Falch
Professional Fighter

This is good technical sparring:

Old 07-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #43
BearGrounds

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonIsotope View Post
Not in a million years will a wmma fight look even simular to that, and they're just sparring
Bring that crying about WMMA shit to a thread that actually has something to do with it.