Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #71
daweedy

White Belt

vCash: 500
Icon11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnetCommittee View Post
Bruce Lee wasn't a tma-ist. He was agains traditional martial arts because he knew they wouldn't work well in a real fight. That's why he began develop his own style Jeet kune do, or like Bruce himself liked to say, the style of not having a style, like modern mma. He wasn't the first one to do this, but he was the first one to reach out this mixed style of fighting to the masses, therefore he is considered by many the godfather of mma. And all this in an era when traditional martial arts was considered "the shit".

And obviously he wouldn't stand much of a chance against a modern ufc fighter, but no one in the 60s/70s would have. You have to consider what was known about fighting back then and now. He was also schooled in western boxing btw.
Your lack of knowledge is astonishing.
Show me one real fight where he won and then we will talk. If anyone should be considered a grandfather of MMa, its Helio Gracie or some other Brazillian. Not some Asian actor beacuse Westerners loved that "mysterious martial arts crap" at the time.
If his western boxing is considered to be a measurment of his credentials as an MMa goodfather, then why not make Rocky Marciano a gradfather of MMA. I mean he was a great boxer, and boxing is used in MMA nowdays, isnt it
The only reason why anyone would say that Brucey had anything to do with MMA is beacuse UFC wants to cater to the older fans of martial arts as well - you know the guys who loved Asian martial arts movies

daweedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:47 AM   #72
foard32

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by daweedy View Post
Show me one real fight where he won and then we will talk. If anyone should be considered a grandfather of MMa, its Helio Gracie or some other Brazillian. Not some Asian actor beacuse Westerners loved that "mysterious martial arts crap" at the time.
If his western boxing is considered to be a measurment of his credentials as an MMa goodfather, then why not make Rocky Marciano a gradfather of MMA. I mean he was a great boxer, and boxing is used in MMA nowdays, isnt it
The only reason why anyone would say that Brucey had anything to do with MMA is beacuse UFC wants to cater to the older fans of martial arts as well - you know the guys who loved Asian martial arts movies
Or because some of the best MMA fighters of all time, and alot of the people behind the scenes, claim that Bruce Lee is what got them into martial arts.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
foard32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #73
CygnetCommittee

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by daweedy View Post
Because Rocky Marciano was only a boxer. Bruce Lee MIXED boxing with alot of other martial arts, therefore practising mixed martial arts. Obviously it wasn't as refined as it is today but it still was mixed martial arts, and he made it more famous and made more people start practising it than propably any other person before him had done.

And what does a fight with Bruce Lee have anything to do with what i said? I didn't say he's the best fighter of all time, obviously there is no evidence to prove such a thing, and there is no way we will ever know how he would do in a real fight against elite fighters.
It's his philosophy about fighting and him being and inspiration to so many fighters that make many people consider him the godfather of mma, but reading what u wrote i guess u only have seen enter the dragon and know nothing else about him.

CygnetCommittee is offline   Reply With Quote