Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
El Hombre

Yellow Belt
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainLeakage View Post
lol new diseases are always going to appear with or without human interference :lol:
Well... No shit.

My comment was actually in reference to the fact that; due to science and human 'interference' we've actually introduced far more diseases than what we have cured.

Sure, since the 1950's epidemiological transition, infectious diseases are dramatically more controlled (and mortality rate has increased), but they've also been replaced by other chronic diseases that are arguably as damaging and debilitating. Hence me saying that 'it's not ALL good'.

Anyway, thanks for your comment - I wasn't aware of the origins of disease.

El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
SocraticMethod

Red Belt
 
SocraticMethod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Over here now
Posts: 9,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharingan View Post
For millions of years humans had bad teeth. Then, someone figured out that if they put Fluoride in the city's tap water supply, this would help protect our teeth and make them stronger. They also put this in toothpaste.

Today, we all have better, longer-lasting teeth than people 100 years ago thanks to Fluoride.

Centuries ago we used to die to everything, like the plague and random diseases. Today, we have vaccines that kids get vaccinated for, so they don't die or get taken out of commission for months by diseases.

Today, we sometimes have low testosterone and suffer the side effects. In a few years/decades, we'll be going to the doctor for a standard pill/injection so we can go on with our lives.

In the past, certain states supported slavery. Later on, they were conquered. Try not to be on the wrong side of history.
Nope.

__________________
You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?
SocraticMethod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
dmtpanic

Purple Belt
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,764
vCash: 500
Off topic: I've heard conflicting reports about fluoride. It may not be good for your teeth at all. I think it's actually some kind of manufacturing waste some old creeps convinced people to put in our water. I could be wrong. I certainly haven't done research on the topic but I thought I would point out the creepy things I've heard about fluoride.

dmtpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
bowened

Brown Belt
 
bowened's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharingan View Post
Today, we sometimes have low testosterone and suffer the side effects. In a few years/decades, we'll be going to the doctor for a standard pill/injection so we can go on with our lives.
You realize that you already can go to the doctor and get a prescription for testosterone treatment?

__________________
Bruce "Lee" Bowen would kick you in the face, steal the ball, drain a three and then win another championship. Deal with it.
bowened is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #15
SocraticMethod

Red Belt
 
SocraticMethod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Over here now
Posts: 9,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtpanic View Post
Off topic: I've heard conflicting reports about fluoride. It may not be good for your teeth at all. I think it's actually some kind of manufacturing waste some old creeps convinced people to put in our water. I could be wrong. I certainly haven't done research on the topic but I thought I would point out the creepy things I've heard about fluoride.
There's a sizable group, mostly way to the left, who think its poison. A group recently tried to prevent a reservoir in or around, I think, Portland from getting fluoride treatment (or however that works). I worked for a Plaintiffs' firm during law school one summer that made it's name and money suing ALCOA. The MP thought fluoride was going to be the next asbestos. She gave us all copies of this book:



From what I remember, the book suggested a link between fluoride ingestion and certain types of cancer, especially in young boys.

My summer was about over and I went to a defense firm after that, so I have no idea if she ever got anywhere with that. It seems that most of the science indicates that the amount of fluoride in our water isn't harmful, but I'm no science-talkin'-guy.

__________________
You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?
SocraticMethod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #16
dmtpanic

Purple Belt
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticMethod View Post
There's a sizable group, mostly way to the left, who think its poison. A group recently tried to prevent a reservoir in or around, I think, Portland from getting fluoride treatment (or however that works). I worked for a Plaintiffs' firm during law school one summer that made it's name and money suing ALCOA. The MP thought fluoride was going to be the next asbestos. She gave us all copies of this book:



From what I remember, the book suggested a link between fluoride ingestion and certain types of cancer, especially in young boys.

My summer was about over and I went to a defense firm after that, so I have no idea if she ever got anywhere with that. It seems that most of the science indicates that the amount of fluoride in our water isn't harmful, but I'm no science-talkin'-guy.
Wow, man, that's fascinating. I really want to read that book now. Thanks!

dmtpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #17
catchwrestle1
If your liver doesn't quiver
 
catchwrestle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: :noiƚɒɔo⅃
Posts: 717
vCash: 500
Just remember, the first documented use of fluoride in water was by the nazis. They put fluoride in the water supply for Jews in concentration camps, because it made them more 'docile'.

Fluoride is poison and drinking it is very bad for you.

Very bad example.

__________________
☭☭ Team Octopus Jiu-Jitsu ☭☭

"Need forgets none of us!"
catchwrestle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #18
georgejjr

Black Belt
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharingan View Post
For millions of years humans had bad teeth. Then, someone figured out that if they put Fluoride in the city's tap water supply, this would help protect our teeth and make them stronger. They also put this in toothpaste.

Today, we all have better, longer-lasting teeth than people 100 years ago thanks to Fluoride.

Centuries ago we used to die to everything, like the plague and random diseases. Today, we have vaccines that kids get vaccinated for, so they don't die or get taken out of commission for months by diseases.

Today, we sometimes have low testosterone and suffer the side effects. In a few years/decades, we'll be going to the doctor for a standard pill/injection so we can go on with our lives.

In the past, certain states supported slavery. Later on, they were conquered. Try not to be on the wrong side of history.
Humans also figured out a very long time ago that we fight much better with weapons than unarmed. Doesn't mean that weapons are going to be allowed in combat sport.

Not to mention we now have a lot of possible medical enhancements - putting in metal bones in the hands for instance. And in a few years there will be all sorts of robotic enhancements (science fiction becomes reality - man I'm getting old ). Whether they will be allowed in sport isn't clear.

I'm not saying PED's won't be allowed in the future, just that its not obvious that they will be. A lot of improved technology is never allowed in sport (MLB doesn't allow aluminum bats for instance, auto racing has limits on engine technology).

__________________
"Thog by Armbar" - Sha
georgejjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #19
MontrealMauler

Gold Belt
 
MontrealMauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21,192
vCash: 500
In the year 3000....in the year 3000!

We will all use TRT when necessary and the government bans it, Zuffa will have to cancel MMA for an entire year

In the year 3000....in the year 3000!


__________________
"I chose to do this sport and now I choose not too. Mentally, it's a lot of pressure. No one can understand it but me." - @GeorgesStPierre
MontrealMauler is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"