Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #21
Danespina

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Demetrious made it sound like it didn't need to be a champion vs. champion bout. He just wants anything that will grab headlines. I like the guys spirit.

Plus even if he did lose at bantamweight, his title defence streak would still be in tact. Winning however would continue to raise his stock in significant ways.

Danespina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #22
Task
RR "Never heard of him" Belt

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danespina View Post
Plus even if he did lose at bantamweight, his title defence streak would still be in tact. Winning however would continue to raise his stock in significant ways.
True but taking these losses can take a toll on your body, Not saying DJ has been beaten up as bad but taking a beating in a larger weight class to come down again to your weight class and defend what essentially is growing will be difficult.

Think of BJ Penn if you want, OK, he came back and smashed Florian/Sanchez but after that the new pool of lightweights came through and he was buried with Frankie.

Task is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #23
Danespina

Green Belt

Speaking of Demetrious Johnson at batamweight, isn't it crazy to think of how much Mighty Mouse has done in the time span of Cruz's injury? Not only did he win a tournament to become champion (one of which bouts needed to be repeated), but he also defended his title more times then the aforementioned champion. He did all that, and Cruz STILL hasn't fought since DJ. Man I feel bad for the guy.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:09 AM   #24
Danespina

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomtask View Post
True but taking these losses can take a toll on your body, Not saying DJ has been beaten up as bad but taking a beating in a larger weight class to come down again to your weight class and defend what essentially is growing will be difficult.
Fair enough point. It's just a shame that Demetrious would need to sit out 6 months for a bout against Lineker or Bagautinov, espessially when he's ready to fight in March/April.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #25
ocarey2

Green Belt

He was good enough to earn a title shot at 135 before the ufc introduced 125, don't see why he wouldn't be successful again given how much he has improved

Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #26
LiverpoolUFC

Blue Belt

I don't think this would be good for DJ and can't see him doing it. For some reason, having to step up to fight Henan or Dom doesn't seem like it would be too appealing to him.

Velasquez, Weidman, Machida, Condit, Swanson, Cruz, Dodson
LiverpoolUFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:37 AM   #27
JosephTessaro

Green Belt

Doubtful...better yet...why? He is a small dude even if fighting at 135. Seems to me 135'ers are too big/strong for him, even if he used to fight at that weight class.

125 suits him very well.

JosephTessaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #28
gspdiaz209

Blue Belt

115->135 (+17% weight increase!)

And he can be fighting guys that are cutting from ~148lbs

That's too much I think and too crazy when the competition is so high in UFC. 170lb->185lb (+8.8% weight increase), but GSP didn't even do it.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #29
Scharminkel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danespina View Post
Speaking of Demetrious Johnson at batamweight, isn't it crazy to think of how much Mighty Mouse has done in the time span of Cruz's injury? Not only did he win a tournament to become champion (one of which bouts needed to be repeated), but he also defended his title more times then the aforementioned champion. He did all that, and Cruz STILL hasn't fought since DJ. Man I feel bad for the guy.
Wow, didn't realize that.. Crazy indeed. Respect for MM

Scharminkel is offline   Reply With Quote