Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:59 AM   #31
TripAtTheBrain

Green Belt

vCash: 740
12 months and Interim title is decided. If the champ isn't back 6 months later he's stripped.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 AM   #32
USAWrestler209

White Belt

vCash: 500
I think the Interem Championship is the definition of #1 contender title, if the champion isnt back, you need to defend your #1 contendership title in a fight.

If the champion is stripped too soon, You are a paper champion. If you defended your interem championship and kept the division going forward then you are the Champion.

I personally believe Barrao had the perfect scenerio and case of what an Interem champion should be, won the belt and defended it twice and kept the division going forward.

USAWrestler209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:14 AM   #33
MarkHammer
Likes Cats.

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladroit View Post
15 months. If the champions fails to fight, then he's stripped. No interim belts.
The huge gaping flaw in this concept being that injuries are very common in this sport and a champ should not be stripped simply because he got hurt in practice. Dominick Cruz is an exception because he's been out for over two years without a return date in sight, but if a champ is out of commission for a year then obviously an interim belt is what the doctor ordered. I'm not one of those eager beavers about stripping all the champions. I like my champions to have won their belts by beating the prior champion. Proper lineage in championships is important imo.

MarkHammer is offline   Reply With Quote