Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #71
The Real Pedro

Red Belt

vCash: 11777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rudd View Post
in the WEC not the UFC. Since he lost that WEC title he has gone 0-5 in title fights, soon to be 0-6 imo.

It is a pretty fair point given his record in title fights after his initial run in the WEC.
1. The 145lb WEC title held by Faber is the same belt worn by Aldo today. Aldo carried it over with him when they transferred the division over en masse. So while technically it is correct to say Faber has never held a UFC title, he did put his stamp on the belt held by Aldo.

2. Yeah, he makes a good point that Faber has lost a lot of title fights in a row to Brown, Brown, Aldo, Cruz, and Barao. He's certainly going to be the underdog in this fight as well. I was defending Faber against the charge of being like Florian, who though I love the guy, never held a title.

Favorite fighters
SHW: Zhang Fei
HW: Gilgamesh
LHW: Beowulf
MW: Hector
WW: John Carter
LW: King David
FW: Wiglaf
BW: Cuchulain of Muirthemne
FLW: Baldwin IV of Jerusalem
The Real Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #72
0vary hugger
Banned

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg171 View Post
Ever since the fight's been announced, I've seen a lot of people saying Faber has no chance against Barao. This seems a bit silly to me. Yes I'm aware Barao solidly beat him the first time around, but Faber is always a threat and that threat should be respected. He's extremely durable, his grappling is arguably the best in the division, and he's packing heat lately as evidenced by the fact that he dropped McDonald 3 times in his last fight. By no means is this an easy fight for Barao.

As for the late notice situation for Faber, remember it goes both ways. Barao has been preparing since basically September for Cruz. He was expecting an evasive volume striker. Now he's got an in your face fighter who thrives off instincts and rolling with the flow of the fight.

Do I think Barao should be the favourite? Absolutely. But realistically I think the fight is somewhere around 60/40 for Barao, not the say 80/20 odds I've seen some posters give out. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see either guy win.

60/40?
Don't post again.

0vary hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #73
The Real Pedro

Red Belt

vCash: 11777
Quote:
Originally Posted by acewayne View Post
Rubber match? Two title defenses doesn't get you an instant rematch. If Faber wins then Barao needs to go get some wins. Not to mention the fact that the UFC will be dying for Faber/Cruz III.

Pulling for Faber.
I agree. I didn't mean to give the impression I was talking about an immediate rubber match. I think immediate rematches should be very rare and should be based on either a very controversial fight result or a very dominant long-term champ like Silva.

Favorite fighters
SHW: Zhang Fei
HW: Gilgamesh
LHW: Beowulf
MW: Hector
WW: John Carter
LW: King David
FW: Wiglaf
BW: Cuchulain of Muirthemne
FLW: Baldwin IV of Jerusalem
The Real Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #74
Alpinestar

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMABr View Post
Sorry, now i gotcha. The first poster you were giving an answer to, I think, was referring to Faber coming to the fight with an already injured rib which wasn't the case.
No worries. Yeah, I was answering one of the posters.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #75
JesseKM57

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Faber has looked great lately. Hes one of those few fighters you can't count out in a fight.