Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #21
talksic

White Belt

vCash: 500
with the organizations i mentioned i think i would do good. i study those fights and fighters. maybe i just really need to focus on my submission defense. look at nick diaz, i dont think hes ever tapped in a fight. but even if i decided to fight at 30 that would be two years additional ground work but it still wouldnt be near enough to be on his level.. but yeah no doubt, i need more discipline. looks like ive got somethings to figure out and some work to put in. thanks guys.

talksic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #22
raak

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wow Exuberant View Post
Seriously this needs to be addressed, do people actually think lifting weights=bad cardio?
It's not a rule, but generally:

Weight training improves your ability to lift weights

and

Cardio improves your cardio

You can't do 1 thing and expect to get the other's result.

raak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #23
Wow Exuberant**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raak View Post
It's not a rule, but generally:

Weight training improves your ability to lift weights

and

Cardio improves your cardio

You can't do 1 thing and expect to get the other's result.

The way the guy I quoted said it made it sound like lifting weights hinders your cardio

Wow Exuberant** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #24
canadafightteam
bamed

just train, and do some grappling tournaments or maybe a local striking tournament. dont worry about the fighting aspect, train because you want to learn, and let the fighting come to you. Odds are you wont get much out of it if you do fight, and go be around some 20 year old kids starting their amateur careers. if you keep up revisit the idea. With the reasons not to, i doubt you really want to, or you like the idea of doing it.

canadafightteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #25
KeeSmyth

Brown Belt

vCash: 297
28 is too old, in this day and age you got people start training MMA at 15

Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #26
Killroy

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wow Exuberant View Post
The way the guy I quoted said it made it sound like lifting weights hinders your cardio
Because he makes it sound like weighttraining is what he does most.
And when you are only lifting weights and not training your cardio, you will get heavier and bulkier and will have problems with your cardio if you don't do additional cardio-training.
I am not saying lifting weights hurts your cardio, but you will have more muscle to walk around with so you will need better cardio.
Makes sense?

Old 12-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #27
LatFlare

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Not doing something because you're scared of a setback means you shouldn't be doing it IMO, because no matter what you do, there will be setbacks at one stage or another.

FWIW it sounds like you have a drinking problem and lack the will power to follow through on anything you resolve to do.

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."
LatFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #28
HIMBOB

Gold Belt

vCash: 18490
I could easily lift weights and drink tonnes.
Its MMA or BJJ training and drinking which reallllllllly dont mix.

At 28 with no grappling training I doubt you will ever make a profit from fighting MMA.
Gym fees, food etc, missed work (to train or recover) its damn hard to draw a profit.

The only money comes after fighting when you can train people because of the name you build.

Do it for fun.

I personally did weights etc when I was your age to try and slow down my drinking, it worked. The I moved on BJJ and MMA, had a Am fight (Great fun but massive commitment time wise).

Never forget the freedom fry!!!
HIMBOB is offline   Reply With Quote