Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:17 AM   #41
Tuf_guy

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasticles View Post
A lot of people are out of touch with reality. This sport will never in your lifetime have the level of athletes you're looking for. Most athletic people don't like getting hit in the face, and if they like to fight then they will pursue boxing where they can make a very lucrative income. There is always going to be A list wrestlers because there is nowhere else for them to go but all of your guys with God given talent that could be good at any sport prob won't do mma. People like getting paid.
I guess I don't really care a whole lot, in a way. Although, obviously talented fighters have the potential to be more entertaining and push the limits... but I think there are and have been some solid, athletic people - as a lot of athletes aren't good at everything - and a great, say basketball player probably isn't a shoe-in to be the best bjj player or boxer based on talent. A lot of these people really seem to grow up in their sport as a general rule.

That said, I do agree that there are probably a lot of people who would be far better than most of the current fighters had they come up in combat sports/martial arts rather than mainstream sports.

I think that there's a chance of fighters becoming stars and fighting for big purses similar, to boxing, if the popularity of MMA grows enough, and if some fighters manage to make big enough names for themselves to sell PPVs (if pay per view lasts as an outlet for fights).

I think almost everything the UFC does is tailored to delay this from happening for as long as possible.
I think it would take time for such a thing to happen though... and some major changes would have to occur with regards to contracts and other things for fighters to have more power.

"Stout is having his way with Lauzonís liver"
- Sherdog UFC 108 Play-by-Play
Tuf_guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #42
suffersystem

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gercmiov View Post
Larger roster, more events = more opportunity for such incidents to occur. It's just the law of statistics.
This!

If you have double or triple the fighters, and double or triple the amount of events, the amount of fighters having to pull out or getting injured will only go up along with it. I honestly doubt it is as bad as it was back in the day. We probably just hear about it more due to social media, the press, plus averaged out compared to years ago I doubt it's that different.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #43
SnowBlynd

Red Belt

I feel like half the time injuries are just an excuse to pull out of a fight.

SnowBlynd is offline   Reply With Quote