Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:25 AM   #31
MurderGOLD

White Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPx1 View Post
I think there is a constantly mutating science of human performance enhancement. At what point is a substance considered legal or illegal? And who makes that decision? Lets face it, theres a million supplements for athletes on the market who are wanting to better themselves by being bigger, faster and stronger. Are we going to be able to tell athletes that they aren't allowed to take vitamins, amino acids, creatine, etc. Due to the fact that they may give them an unfair advantage over the next guy who doesnt take them?
Hey, logic has no place in sherdog. That opinion is invalid!

MurderGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #32
SuperNerd
Playoff Mode.

Wise monkeys in hurr

Old 02-11-2014, 02:11 AM   #33
Chappi

Blue Belt

TRT and PED's to even out the playing field between older and younger fighters?
Ok then I (45 years old) can go to the Olympic 100/200/400/800 meters, I'll just use a car to even out the playing field between me and the youger guys and I like my chances.
If you can't compete without TRT, you should go do something else.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:25 AM   #34
clumseygenius

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
What does you being a librarian have anything to do with your opinion on PEDS & TRT in MMA?

Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 AM   #35
HuntersCreed

vCash: 20000
I'm a Libertarian too, but I'm also smart enough to know not to bring politics into the Heavies.
1- People in the heavies aren't smart enough to understand.
2- Wrong place.

2003 Honda Shadow A.C.E. Deluxe VT750CD
HuntersCreed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:05 AM   #36
Headk1ck

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by soiltostone View Post

Athletes would immediately lose real-world ability to chose whether or not to use PEDs, because they would have to to be able to compete (as if they don't struggle with that already). PEDs increase athletes ability to cause damage to their opponents (a primary goal in MMA). Inequalities in this capacity lead to more injuries, with the weaker and less trained athletes taking more damage. This is unfair to those who would rather be clean -- which is in fact safer in all respects. They could just chose not to compete, but that's kind of a Hobson's choice, no?
This is the only argument against legalising peds and its a compelling one. I like it the way it is now.

Headk1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #37
MPx1

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumseygenius View Post
What does you being a librarian have anything to do with your opinion on PEDS & TRT in MMA?
Ha, I'm only a part time librarian.. I feel like the libertarian thought process I have makes me dispise many of the issues in the world today fueled by uninformed media and crooked politicians with an agenda to make a name for themselves. That being said, I believe the whole PEDs issue is a byproduct of these sad times where it almost more socially acceptable to be a drunk or heroin addict than it is to be an athlete who takes PEDs. And again, I've already made the argument of where do we draw the line between what is legal and what isnt in the world of performance supplements. It just seems like if all the sudden some politician or media outlet gets a bug in their ass to crusade again the drinking of protein shakes, the next thing u know, the general public is outraged by it and know nothing about its actual use/effect. If a substance is deemed to work "too well" at helping athletes take their performance to the next level, shall it be outlawed? A human body can only go so far, even with the use of any supplemental product. Lets just say I fight at light heavy, theres only so much muscle that I would possibly be able to carry and still make that weight class. PEDs do not create an infinite source of power and ability. It just seems like all the sudden this is a huge issue, just in this country, but back in the Pride days, heard nothing about it. I dont even know if they tested. And I felt like that was an exciting time in MMA as well.

MPx1 is offline   Reply With Quote