Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #51
BJJ_Rage

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielMMElkin View Post
People have started talking about maia as if he's the next big thing, the next contender, etc. but i honestly don't see what everyone sees in him. he's been fighting for years so he's a veteran, but that also means he's 35 years old, that's older than every top 10 welterweight according to ufc.com, and then let's analyze his fighting style: really bad striking (improved, but still NOWHERE near ellenberger, hendricks, kampmann, condit, gsp, diaz, saffiedine) so on the feet he'd get raped by any of them. his offensive wrestling isn't really that good, so any good wrestler (which pretty much all the top 10 ww except for diaz, condit, and saffiedine) could stuff his takedowns. his ground game is the best, but if he can't get the fight to the ground, he's doomed. even there, i think a few of the top 10 guys could survive enough time to find an opening and get back on their feet (definitely diaz and gsp). and as for his last 3 wins, he didnt really beat DHK, the rick story fight was impressive, but the guy wasnt even top 15, and jon fitch was impressive too but fitch ain't no world beater, he lays on top of guys on the ground which fed well to maia's style.
IMO, maia won't fight for the title cause every single top 10 guy beats him with the expection of koscheck and maybe lawler
and you called my thread stupid? Maia has regular offensive wrestling? If you are calling tds wrestling then yeah sure, he took every wrestle he faces down (but cw) but yeah his "wrestling" suck... Diaz getting back up? So what? He's going back down in a matter of secs, what's Diaz going to do? Ko him? Yeah right...

By the way, if Maia beats kos, he is getting the next title shot...

BJJ_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #52
SeattleFightFan

Gold Belt

you're trying too hard, TS.

he's been on as good a tear as anyone in that division except Hendricks & GSP. will he only get as high as top 5 or higher, it's TBD. but why not sit back and enjoy the ride, instead of finding reasons why a top 5 player isn't good enough for you?

i look forward to seeing if he can handle a heavy hitter as well. but unlike you, i haven't already decided he cannot.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #53
MuyThaiTom

Brown Belt

vCash: 521
He has weaknesses but he also has extreme strengths. His offensive wrestling is better since he moved to WW. He took down DHK, Story and Fitch pretty easily. All accomplished wrestlers.

MuyThaiTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #54
MTL

Blue Belt

No you're not the only one. I didn't have to read everything you wrote to answer you. I think he's being way over hyped. As soon as he fights a decent striker with solid take down defense his win streak is finished.

MTL is offline   Reply With Quote