Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #41
vanzella
Brazilian Clean Sweep Belt

vCash: 500
I don't think they are the nicest people in the world.

Faithful Zealot of the Just Bleed God
vanzella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #42
kflo

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo78 View Post
MMA has rules. I've seen a few "pro" fighters get ass raped at clubs/bars. Being pro just means you're willing to fight for money; it doesn't mean you're great at it.

There are plenty of "pros" that'll avoid a streetfight at all cost
avoiding a street fight is smart.

being a pro fighter makes its a near certainty you're a much better fighter than someone who is not, although size can be somewhat of an equalizer.

kflo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #43
kflo

Silver Belt

i'd guess in general martial arts provides stability and focus that many participants would otherwise channel into riskier behaviors.

kflo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #44

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iornmike31453 View Post
Crashing is an accident, sometimes unavoidable. Some people CHOOSE to fight and cause trouble and fight because they can. If punching someone is a $100 fine and 2 weeks in jail it's the same for all people regardless and if you wanna fight you will fight if you are a trained fighter or not. If you scratch a charger you will pay $100 if you scratch a Ferrari you're looking at 2-5 grand and will look twice before reverseing. Big difference and a bad example
You dont get it. Bushido code developed for Samurai, cos they had the skills and the sword. They had a higher responsibility for that, so they behaved in higher manner.

14.09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #45
El Hombre

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Silva View Post
Upon hearing about Grispi it got me thinking. Does fighting promote violence. I've seen other fighters besides Grispi with these problems. I'll name a few the guy that first fought Fedor in strike force. He abused his wife too. Other than that I heard Phil had some issues.
No, training to fight does not promote domestic violence. Bad parenting promotes domestic violence.

Training to fight only allows people who are predisposed to domestic violence, to be more effective at it.

El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #46
iornmike31453

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14.09 View Post
You dont get it. Bushido code developed for Samurai, cos they had the skills and the sword. They had a higher responsibility for that, so they behaved in higher manner.
Oh yeah that's right my mistake. We all live in 12th century japan and mma fighters are samurai. Grispi, Rodgers, Trujillo, and the others must commit seppuku for they have brought great same upon themselves and their family's. We must notify Dana at once!!! GTFO

iornmike31453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:39 AM   #47
Soulkrusher

Blue Belt

Nah man some people are just assholes. Take steroid users for example every now and then you get a guy who would be a piece of shit regardless it's just now he gets noticed more.

Soulkrusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:20 AM   #48

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iornmike31453 View Post
Oh yeah that's right my mistake. We all live in 12th century japan and mma fighters are samurai. Grispi, Rodgers, Trujillo, and the others must commit seppuku for they have brought great same upon themselves and their family's. We must notify Dana at once!!! GTFO
Haha. No, but these samurai and Ferrari metaphoras were just extreme examples to heighten what I and I think the other guy mean. Of course there's always gonna be violent assholes, but I think on average the street violence will lessen greatly among those who commit their lives to training martial arts. I've seen it in my own eyes.

Well, I'm European. Maybe you can tell me, if it's totally different in America? I know that Japan has always had the lowest violence crime rates in the world, even in those years when MMA and K-1 were household and everybody from small children to elderly watched it on tv.

14.09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #49
iornmike31453

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14.09 View Post
Haha. No, but these samurai and Ferrari metaphoras were just extreme examples to heighten what I and I think the other guy mean. Of course there's always gonna be violent assholes, but I think on average the street violence will lessen greatly among those who commit their lives to training martial arts. I've seen it in my own eyes.

Well, I'm European. Maybe you can tell me, if it's totally different in America? I know that Japan has always had the lowest violence crime rates in the world, even in those years when MMA and K-1 were household and everybody from small children to elderly watched it on tv.
No we have assholes too lol. But there's no ture answer to that question but my opinion it's that the training itself is not what makes a person act a certain way, it's the values instilled by the trainer that will have that effect combined with the morals and personality of the fighter. If you start young and have a good teacher that expects you to be respectful and carry yourself in the correct manner, or are generally a good natured human, those people will be less likely to resort to violence. Kind of like what you said about bushido. However, if you have a trainer that expects pure violance and instills a take what you want and don't let anyone stand in your way attitude, that is a very bad thing. And if you are an angry hateful person and it's just in your nature to be violent and get in fights, you will be more likely to have a short fuse and try and be a tough guy and fight often.

And like you said about japan, maybe the crime rate is lower because they come from that tradition and the people around then raised them take taught them respect, morals, and all that good stuff. However organizations like the yakuza have the afore mentioned attitude of take what you want by any means, even if someone has to get hurt.
It just goes to show that yes, a positive environment can greatly improve a persons judgement and attitude, but also a person who is naturally a volent and overall bad person will have a tendency to be such. Not saying people can't change and turn things around, but it is also a choice that at the end of the day only that person can make

iornmike31453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #50
grecobjj

Purple Belt

vCash: 469
I blame rap music

grecobjj is offline   Reply With Quote