Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

View Poll Results: Frankie Edgar vs Cub Swanson
Frankie Edgar 106 72.11%
Cub Swanson 41 27.89%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #41
Helmut Zemo

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
I think there's a good argument for Swanson or Gustafsson, but "not even close" is a big stretch. Gus has his weaknesses and defensive liabilities in his boxing game. He has solid boxing, simple and effective with his frame. He has one of the best and varied jabs in MMA (actually clearly the most versatile), put on a clinic with it against Silva and also boxed up Jones pretty bad using it to create openings (dipping, counter, and body). One of the few guys who can effectively hook off jabs too. He has extremely good use of angles on offence and control of range on defence as well as his jab and rear uppercut. Sometimes his boxing is inconsistent when he doesn't work behind the jab but he develops a good sense of distance against most guys, and is really athletic and has a granite chin. He seems to be knowledgeable on positioning especially with his footwork and feint/misdirection putting his opponents into some bad positions as he sets up his strikes. He has a pretty good understanding of stances and threatening cutting off at the cage as well. His circling/movement and head movement can get predictable throughout a fight though due to being rather inordinate at times, leaving openings, and although he moves a lot I wouldn't put his footwork on the level of Swanson's, from a technical standpoint. There isn't a boxer in MMA that really stands alone far and above everyone else; there's a group of a select few on a similar level. Then there are the guys a bit behind them, and so on.

Werdum|DJ|Gus|Hunt
Barnet|Fe|APetis|Gegard|TJD|MenaceJ|WonderB

Tarec|Thominas|Kabib|PatC|RDA|Masvi|NBK|EdAl|Gunni|Maia

Jacare|Boku|AlI|Niklas|Rukus|Kyoji
Helmut Zemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #42
giovanni002

Red Belt

vCash: 2888
Gotta suck for Cub, he's waited quite some time. Picking Edgar to win by decision

Old 07-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #43
shertard74

Green Belt

Wtf is this? Cub has already earned a shot... this is kinda bullshit

shertard74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #44
milenss
Fedorless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Zemo View Post
I think there's a good argument for Swanson or Gustafsson, but "not even close" is a big stretch.
Gustafsson has faced the best of the best in his division. He hasn't been outstruck by anybody. Swanson has looked very impressive, but against a mid-tier competition when it comes to boxing. That's where the difference comes from. Let's see what happens versus Edgar and then Aldo. I haven't watched how Aldo destroys Cub in the past, but I bet that there's a good reason behind it.
Also that guy Jeremy Stephens. He posed a lot of troubles for Cub. I don't know how good exactly he's, because I haven't been following his career. One thing I'm certain about is that there's nobody at LHW who can do this to Gustafsson in a 5 rd standup battle. He's just leaps and bounds above the others (if he doesn't get tired, like in the 4th rd against Jones).

Quote:
He has solid boxing, simple and effective with his frame. He has one of the best and varied jabs in MMA (actually clearly the most versatile), put on a clinic with it against Silva and also boxed up Jones pretty bad using it to create openings
Gustafsson put on a clinic against Shogun and Jones, too.

milenss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #45
BC 206

Blue Belt

Respect to Cub for taking this fight when he earned a title shot, that said Frankie by late round tko or ud

BC 206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #46
jjresq

vCash: 1000
is this fight official

jjresq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:01 AM   #47
skombolis

Brown Belt

Damn

Love and hate the matchup. Should be a great fight but wanted to see Cub keep his resurgence going and get his rematch against Aldo. If Aldo didn't have those wicked leg kicks in his arsenal Edgar probably wins that fight. Cub is versatile but too much speed and movement from Frankie. Can't see anything other than Frankie by decision.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #48
GrAtI

Purple Belt

vCash: 726
Edgar.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #49
HuntersCreed

vCash: 4054
I would like to see both guys fight Chad Mendez. I suppose it's only a matter of time.

#FreeWarMachine
HuntersCreed is offline   Reply With Quote