Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:24 AM   #81
Appylion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Kwon Do View Post
Because TJ and Barao are huge draws....

If this was simply a ticket sales thing, they would do what it takes to get Faber to fight TJ. He draws more than Barao.
Rex Kwon Do !!!

Old 07-15-2014, 03:34 AM   #82
MrPapaya

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redannihilation View Post
Ah yes, the incredibly deep and exciting talent pool of Watch Out Combat Show, Leal Combat, Eagle Fighting Championship and who could forget Jungle Fight!

For the record I mentioned WEC and UFC because they're both Zuffa which means they're relevant to Zuffa's BW belt. Derp.
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Sergi...odrigues-30932

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Jorge-Enciso-35992

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Marcio-Nunes-50147

These are the last three guys Barao fought before he went to the WEC. Sure looks like top calibur talent!

And don't get me wrong, Barao's streak in WEC and UFC was excellent. But I would say a lot of the local Brazil circuit bouts look like padding than anything.

MrPapaya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #83
DanaRousey

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by silus_2000 View Post
If you think MMA and the UFC are synonymous, then yes, it does set a standard. Unfortunately for your dumb ass it is not. Barao has had one of the longest unbeaten streaks in MMA history. At least show the man a bit of credit before telling us how ignorant you are.
What are you talking about? I actually like Barao and I actually felt like he should've been considered for the #1 p4p status before he lost to TJ.

How am I discrediting him, at all? The main point was to really ask, what's the "standard" for immediate rematches?

DanaRousey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #84
Shaddows

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaRousey View Post
As someone who was rooting for Barao in their first meeting and hopes to see Barao get his belt back in his upcoming bout, it's easy to admit that he was absolutely dominated from start to finish in their first meeting. To much of everyone's surprise, Barao is being given an immediate rematch against TJ Dillashaw.

With that being said, does this set a new "standard" for automatic rematches when a champion loses his belt? In other words, where is the limit (or is there a limit) to where a champion "deserves" an automatic rematch? Or is the main reason for the automatic rematch the fact that Barao was a "dominant" champion before losing his belt?

But even then, in fights such as Franklin-Silva II and Hughes-St.Pierre II, in which both former (dominant) champions were dominated, an immediate rematch wasn't given and they had to work their way back up to title shots.

Fights like Henderson-Edgar I and Penn-Edgar I seem like reasonable automatic rematches because they were controversial and or/competitive.

This just may seem unfair to future champions losing their belts because some may say, "Well if Barao got an immediate rematch, I should deserve one as well."
I don't think so.
SIlva, Barao have been champions not only for long, but they actually beat records.
Silva was #1 P4P and broke most records in the UFC.
Barao broke Fedor's record. (I don't want to enter the merit of it, just the fact he did - which is what the UFC used to hype him. So it makes sense to use this as an excuse for a rematch).

All others are new champions and if they lose now, they should not get an instant rematch (unless something happen - i.e. bad decision (like Rua & Machida oe BJ & Frankie)) or some other kind of controversy.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #85
HIMBOB

Gold Belt

vCash: 1513
Win 30 in a row get a rematch.

Gee this will be a common problem for sure.

HIMBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #86
Ravelife

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gercmiov View Post
They want Barao to be champion.
Not sure if serious.

His only fans outside of Brazil are hardcore fans. You could ask people who watch 4 ppvs a year who he was and they would not know.

TJ is a wet dream for the UFC. Good lookin young blonde kid with a smoke show new wife, a team built of ace fighters surrounding the best known sub-170 fighter in the sport's history.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #87
ArkhamAsylum

vCash: 666
This is a BS rematch. Dominated AND finished. An immediate rematch is so fucking retarded.

Fedor, Cerrone, Nick Diaz, A. Silva, Roy Nelson, Mitrione, + Ian Mccall fan.
Akiyama: Wanderlei Silva
Well now we know why Wandy retired. -MilesAbove
ArkhamAsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #88
oswald1

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by trane View Post
There is no standard, they do what sells tickets
Yep. Barao is a much bigger draw and the UFC wants nothing more than Barao as champ again. It's disgusting but what can you do. If this rematch is somewhat close with Barao losing again he would probably get an immediate third fight. Maybe after that fight Dillashaw will get a fresh opponent but I wouldnt get my hopes up.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #89
soohrednaB

Black Belt

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that Barao got an immediate rematch, but I'm not really bothered by it. He hadn't lost in almost a decade, and had dominated some pretty impressive names. I'd assume whoever wins will get Raph next.....

Bruce Buffer is a terrible ring announcer who rode his brother's coattails. I'd do a better job. I'm not kidding.
soohrednaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #90
Ekcol

Blue Belt

Depends on the division. I wouldn't want immediate rematches at 155 or 170, but don't mind them in thinner top heavy divisions. Actually, I will watch whatever Uncle Dana gives me and I will like it.

Ekcol is offline   Reply With Quote