Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
Jballer

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
For some reason Davis winning seemed to only benefit Rashad

Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
laleggenda27

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRIDEoftheUFC View Post
I thought Lyoto definitely won that decision, but in my personal rankings i'd still have Phil ranked over him because no matter what we think, he's got the win on his record. But yeah it's strange how they have Phil over Lyoto but still had Evans over Nogueira even though he lost to diet nog.
Are you proposing that the only consideration for rankings should be the W-L record, disregarding incompetent or corrupt judging? If pretty much everyone, media and casual observers alike, agree that fighter A won EVERY round of a fight, three incompetent and/or corrupt judges shouldn't override logic. There has to be a point where we collectively say that a decision goes beyond subjectivity and ventures into incompetence or corruption, at which point the judges' decision should basically be ignored.

Long before I was an MMA fan, I was a diehard boxing fan. People talk a lot about the death of boxing, usually in reference to corrupt sanctioning bodies and promoters. But what doesn't get enough attention is the absolutely HORRID judging that takes place. For me personally, the incompetent/corrupt judging in boxing is one of the things that most turned me off about the sport. If we want to avoid this fate in MMA, we need to hold the judges accountable. At a certain point, we need to say that certain decisions are too obviously wrong to receive any credence. The attitudes of "I know it's wrong, but the W-L record is all that matters" or "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" is far too complicit and only makes the problem worse.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #23
jmadtx

Black Belt

vCash: 1900
rashad at #2 has to be somebody trolling

jmadtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #24
BGDDYKWL

Brown Belt

It's always gonna be tough when all guys have virtually no bad losses, and A beat B, B beat C, but C beat A. Personally I'd have Machida ranked ahead of both, but Rashad and Phil gets murky. Rashad beat him so soundly it's hard to get that out of your mind, but Phil did edge Machida and beat (albeit a rawer) Gus. I think you'd probably have to go Lyoto, Rashad, Phil right now, but they're all really close.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #25
laleggenda27

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
It's always gonna be tough when all guys have virtually no bad losses, and A beat B, B beat C, but C beat A. Personally I'd have Machida ranked ahead of both, but Rashad and Phil gets murky. Rashad beat him so soundly it's hard to get that out of your mind, but Phil did edge Machida and beat (albeit a rawer) Gus. I think you'd probably have to go Lyoto, Rashad, Phil right now, but they're all really close.
Phil certainly did not edge out Machida, but you're fundamental point is well taken. And throw in the fact that Hendo has two recent, close losses to Rashad and Lyoto, but I assume that most people would agree that he'd likely KO Phil.

As a side note: In a world where undeserved title shots are regularly given, and title shots are promised after big wins but then summarily rescinded, I suppose that rankings don't mean all that much. But I believe that this sport, and the fans that love it, deserve a landscape where fights are decided by competent judges and title shots are given to the most deserving contenders. My hope is that MMA is just going through inevitable growing pains, as opposed to following the same murky path as boxing.