Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #81
iLesnar
Every dog has his day in MMA

vCash: 500
Anthony Pettis defeats Khabib Nurmagomedov by (T)KO.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #82
Fyreborn

Green Belt

How are people ignorant enough to use the "Guida beat him so Khabib will" when that was the EXACT same logic people used to favor Benson over Pettis, yet Pettis completely smoked Benson in the actual fight??

And Benson is a much better wrestler than Guida.

I don't get how people don't realize Pettis' strategy and defensive wrestling are light years beyond what they were in the Guida fight.

I do think in 3 round fight Khabib has a good chance...but I don't like his odds in a 5 round fight at all. Pettis has shown to have great cardio. Usually strikers have worse cardio than grapplers, but that isn't the case with Pettis, as we saw in the first Benson fight. Benson has some of the best cardio at LW yet in round 5 Pettis was just as fresh.

Khabib uses a lot of energy, Pettis is pretty efficient in his use of energy, so I definitely see Pettis having the edge in rounds 4 and 5. And since I really doubt Khabib has the ability to finish Pettis, in a championship fight I just can't take him over Pettis. Not saying it's impossible of course, I just find it unlikely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
The way I remember Pettis-Guida, it wasn't so much that he got controlled by Clay, it's more that he thought he was winning from the bottom with strikes and submission attempts, and he kept focusing on that rather than trying to get up. Most fans agreed and thought the decision was bullshit. Still, it was a foolish strategy, because you should never trust these judges. But that doesn't mean he's a shit wrestler.

And the way I remember Khabib-Trujillo, the reason Khabib set the record for takedowns is because he couldn't really get Abel under control long enough to work towards a finish. The dude kept getting up right away. So you can't just pretend Khabib would pin Anthony to the mat with ease. And Pettis only needs a split second opening to slap on a submission.

I think it would be a great "mystery" matchup, but I gotta give the nod to Pettis.
Agreed - Khabib has great takedowns but his top control hasn't been the best. And Pettis is a bitch to control with his hyper-active guard.

If Khabib could improve his top control, then he'd be a bigger threat. I'm sure they're probably working on that at AKA with him as that's his most obvious weakness.

Fyreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #83
kevo1295

Brown Belt

Khabib is crazy overrated. He hasn't even beaten one legitimate top 10 guy. His striking is sloppy, and he will get exposed against a real technical striker.

Pettis/Condit highlight: /watch?v=HP43WMw85AQ
kevo1295 is offline   Reply With Quote