Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:11 AM   #21
chefdiablo

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Fortunately Ronda is still quite young, strong, and hardly taking damage in her fights.

If I was on her team, my greater concern would be over-training throughout these years of her career. Down the road the price for that might lead to problems.

I sort of see GSP's career to be like that. Early on he didn't take too much damage, trained hard year round, and fought fairly often. Then the injuries and fight delays took place. Shortly after that he compiled the most damage of his entire career in three fights, if my memory serves.

It's good for Ronda to have some short periods away from MMA. This injury could be a bit of a blessing.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:16 AM   #22
chefdiablo

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmbar View Post
Once upon a time MMA fighters fought 4-6 times a year. Especially dominant ones like Rousey who are winning fights quickly. This shit where champs only fight twice a year kind of sucks.
While this is completely true, in context those fighters did not really train the way most fighters train now.

MMA has a more serious business atmosphere at the UFC level than ever before. Even weight gain in between fights is becoming a rarity compared to a few years ago.

It's not a good comparison to compare such different era's of the sport. It has evolved a lot in such a short time just because of the money.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:32 AM   #23
Local Plata

Brown Belt

Well she's fighting mostly nobodies that she puts away within a minute or two ... so no I don't think she's being over used. If she had an actual fight, sure give her an extra month or two off. But throwing some chick on the ground and punching her face for 15 seconds isnt very taxing on the body.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:38 AM   #24
TKJ

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifrankenstein View Post
It seems as if Ronda Rousey is fighting every two/three months in a division that isnt even staked mean while we have other male fighters fighter 1x per year
I think the story in the OP is the lack of activity from other fighters.

"What the Samurais did with their swords, we do with our hands."
-Helio Gracie
TKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:42 AM   #25
Damianj

Brown Belt

RR will be done with fighting within 2 years or less. By then, acting will be paying her 3x what she makes fighting and torturous training camps for less money will no longer make sense to her anymore.

Pretty simple logic. So I don't blame her for wanting to fight as much as possible now to cement her legacy in the WMMA division of the UFC.

Damianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #26
Hades86

Purple Belt

It's a win win. Ronda isn't taking damage in her fights, shit she can beat one of these girls every month without much training. Both Ronda and the UFC are raking it in with weakness of WMMA.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #27
Fight Gone Bad

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifrankenstein View Post
It seems as if Ronda Rousey is fighting every two/three months in a division that isnt even staked mean while we have other male fighters fighter 1x per year
UFC knows she'll put on a show. Its funny how people were crapping on Anderson after he finally gets injured and he still fought most of his career at least twice a year lol

Ronda puts on more exciting fights that most of the men. She does commercials and movies and has brought more exposure than Weidman's nonexistent persona(talented though), Pettis's time in physical therapy, Jose's reign as king of the wrestling weight class, Jones face attempts in the public eye, Cain's inability to gather Mexican fans from boxing, Sexyamas sexiness, DJ's awesome talent but not so marketable looks, Chael's drug tests, Vitors dead animal on his head, Dillashaws ummm or Johnny Hendricks Undertaker left hand.

Face it Ronda is everywhere for a reason and its because the UFC doesnt have one solid face to appeal to everyone. They dont have anyone that just sucks anyone in except for McGregor and he's Dana's great hope right now.