Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #61
iowamma2012

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mademan081 View Post
When this fight goes to a 5 round technical decision, and when the PPV buy rates come out showing it was under 800k, I'll remind you and the other flamers of your comments.
Gus-Jones went 5 rounds. Does that mean that fight wasn't Fight of the Year last year?
Why does a decision on this mean its going to be a letdown?

PPV numbers are never reported but general consensus is that less than 10 have ever
hit the million buy mark. Stop trying to imply that the million PPV buy was the norm and not a complete outlier.

As for the casual talk, I think the PPV will do some great buys.
Most hardcore's will buy the card because its stacked with great fights

Jones-Cormier
McGregor-Poirier
Cruz- Mizugaki
Romero-Kennedy
Zingano-Nunes

Even the prelim fights with Green-Masvidal, Cote-Wonderboy, and Doomsday-Ebersole will corral a lot of last minute buyers as they are fights setup for exciting finishes.

There is a lot of Casual interest in this as well. I don't buy your reasoning that casuals have not heard of the hype. I had my 40+ year old Mormon boss asking me what this is about and hes never watched an MMA event before. No one is saying it will be beat a million buys, but you are crazy if you think if it doesn't have a lot of hype behind it

iowamma2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #62
skombolis

Brown Belt

Strange OP

This was on ESPN. A lot of casuals know about it

600-800k PPV is still really good

These guys really don't like each other. It happens. Just like how Nate Diaz started a fight almost with Cowboy in a gym when Cowboy went to shake his hand and Diaz slapped it explaining later that those two aren't cool like that and he will probably be fighting him some day

Anybody trying to take your belt that is worth millions to you can become an enemy real quick. Not always but it doesn't take much to get it going. I can't believe anyone is left that thinks the animosity isn't real. It may dissipate some after the actual fight. Normally when guys are exhausted and have earned each other's respect in a hard fought fight they tend to overlook the pre-fight stuff. Although I think the loser in this case is going to have that eat at him for a long time. Regardless, nothing fake about the dislike leading up to the fight, even in an age where so much is hyped.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #63
skombolis

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowamma2012 View Post
Gus-Jones went 5 rounds. Does that mean that fight wasn't Fight of the Year last year?
Why does a decision on this mean its going to be a letdown?

PPV numbers are never reported but general consensus is that less than 10 have ever
hit the million buy mark. Stop trying to imply that the million PPV buy was the norm and not a complete outlier.

As for the casual talk, I think the PPV will do some great buys.
Most hardcore's will buy the card because its stacked with great fights

Jones-Cormier
McGregor-Poirier
Cruz- Mizugaki
Romero-Kennedy
Zingano-Nunes

Even the prelim fights with Green-Masvidal, Cote-Wonderboy, and Doomsday-Ebersole will corral a lot of last minute buyers as they are fights setup for exciting finishes.

There is a lot of Casual interest in this as well. I don't buy your reasoning that casuals have not heard of the hype. I had my 40+ year old Mormon boss asking me what this is about and hes never watched an MMA event before. No one is saying it will be beat a million buys, but you are crazy if you think if it doesn't have a lot of hype behind it
I think any hardcore fan would but it just to see Jones and DC

But the fact that it is such an awesome card is just a huge bonus

Old 08-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #64
U.S. Soldier

Red Belt

It's going to be boring to the casuals.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #65
Adamant

Brown Belt

Location: Flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong
vCash: 136
Jones will cry when DC beats his ass

Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #66
Dart Feld

Silver Belt

Old 08-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #67
JayElectra
WAR Belt

vCash: 50
I read a couple lines of the OP. TS roughly implied that any fight going to decision will be a "stinker." I didn't need to read anymore to realize that everything and anything TS posted was completely and absolutely correct.

-Diogenes
JayElectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:07 AM   #68
stin4tw

Brown Belt

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy_Gecko View Post
I'm going to pay to see this one. Well, actually I'm going to download it (Sorry, Dana, but you've got enough money. Give some to the fighters and I might buy PPVs again.)
I love how people bitch about fighter pay, yet don't realize why ppv buys are down

^^ 98% of Sherdog's MMAth

8/23/12 - Official "WTF" Day | 30
stin4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #69
LongSlenderBody***
Banned

Just another thread that'll get bumped when the 1m+ PPV numbers come out. Nothing else to see here.

LongSlenderBody*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:37 AM   #70
olmanwinter

White Belt

I follow the NFL religiously and at no point have I ever been concerned with the Nielsen numbers for the Super Bowl. Is this obsession with PPV buys a Sherdog thing? Is it schadenfreude because so many of y'all seem to hate DW and want him (and the best fighting org) to fail? It's really baffling to me.

olmanwinter is offline   Reply With Quote