Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:42 AM   #61
Powerkick

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
This will be his last fight that he will be able to push himself at age 35, its only gonna get worse. He needs to strengthening his body like the Shaolin monks method so he can take more knees and eblows and be able to trade with Jon Jones. we all know Jon Jones don't throw more than 3 or 4 combos at a time, so there is definitely gaps in between his attacks, you just have to deal with the first 1 or 2 attacks.

Powerkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:03 AM   #62
MCS
needle movement expert

there's no indication it matters in this fight, but he's only got a couple of years left until he likely starts to rapidly decline. that's the real sad part considering his talent.

it's true that he hasn't taken a lot of damage, but for those who have decline tends to start earlier than at 35. there's a huge difference between mid-30's and nearing 40 in MMA.

MCS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:21 AM   #63
Miiiiiiighty

Silver Belt

He doesn't have that wear and tears..

And also he can rely on his wrestling/power/strength once his quickness goes..
But he will clearly lose a step/facet of his game as soon as he can't go in and out as fast to compensate the lack of reach

Old 08-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #64
moreorless87

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiiiiiighty View Post
He doesn't have that wear and tears..

And also he can rely on his wrestling/power/strength once his quickness goes..
But he will clearly lose a step/facet of his game as soon as he can't go in and out as fast to compensate the lack of reach
The hype around Cormier is generally as the new Fedor but I'd really look at him more as a hybrid of Fedor and Randy(I would suggest a "Fedor Couture" nickname but it sounds like Fedor running a fashion label for woollen sweaters/jumpers)and I suspect he'll age somewhere between the two although of course having less mileage will be a big reason as well.

Fedor generally depends on speed and agility a lot more than Cormier for me. Standing both are reasonabley similar but a lot of Fedor's success was his hip/head movement on defence and his ability to explode from distance with his punches, Cormier tends to look to trade more in the pocket and takes more shots himself.

Both are pretty explosive with there clinch takedowns although I'd say much of that is technical. Actually on the ground again I think Fedor depended a lot more on speed, locking up subs very quickly, hitting sweeps and landing blockbuster GnP. Cormier tends to fight at a slower pace on the ground slowly advancing position.

moreorless87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:40 AM   #65
YukisHeart

Purple Belt

Yes, age will be starting to take a toll in terms of reflexes etc.

However, DC is the kind of fighter for whom age-related decline is least significant, as his style is very much based on technique, rather than physical attributes.

The best analogues to this can probably be fouund in boxing rather than MMA: think Archie Moore, George Foreman, Bernard Hopkins.

Really solid technique sees this sort of fighter through, after the quickness, flexibility and raw strength of youth start to go. (C.f. Roy Jones Jr., whose career fell off a cliff with age.)

DC's also fortunate in that he's a fighter with power, which is thought to hang around for a long time after other abilities deteriorate: