Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #51
GrantB13

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Shin guards are just terrible.

Junior dos Santos
Alexander Gustafsson
Chuck Liddell
GrantB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #52
tsully

Green Belt

fuck off

Old 07-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #53
IloveTHIS

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
you cant be serious. this doesnt deserve real discussion Im sorry.

more to come, I guarantee it.
IloveTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #54
IngaVovchanchyn

Brown Belt

vCash: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiosh View Post
I don't follow football, what have they done for safety?
They have completely changed the rules for hits on receivers and quarterbacks, who due to the mechanics of the game, get blindsided more often than other players. They have also cracked down hard with heavy fines on any helmet to helmet hits. In my opinion it the major factor in the explosion of offensive statistics we have seen in the past decade.

Nothing in this world eases a man's conscience like doing the right thing with other peoples' money.
IngaVovchanchyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #55
Terror Zone
Wealth is a ghetto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayBMX View Post
There are enough issues with broken hands
Over time, the issue would resolve itself. The sport would change out of necessity. As it stands now, guys will continue to wing haymakers in the general direction of their opponents' heads with no regard for where they're actually going to land. The comfort of the handwraps and gloves are what allow that and that's why hands break. Take those things away and I believe that eventually those numbers would go down significantly.

You rarely break hands on chins or noses so accuracy would become more important, well placed strikes would take the place of wild punching exchanges, the Thai clinch would be used more, we'd see a lot of elbows and knees on the inside and kicks on the outside, guys would start punching to the body more, eventually we'd see more Diaz style half power volume punching, etc. This isn't even taking into account how many more submissions would happen because of how much the gloves hinder grapplers.

The gloves are actually causing the broken hands because of the style they encourage fighters to employ, the problem is though that the unrealistic "stand and bang" bullshit is exactly what morons want to see so the UFC would never support getting rid of the gloves. Change the design all you want but broken hands are always going to be an issue as long as they're being used. I don't trust those Bellator stats either, Pitbull broke his hand with those new gloves and they've just attempted to sweep that under the rug so who knows how many others that's happened with already.

The shinguard thing is laughable and not even worth addressing.

Terror Zone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #56
zerofux

Green Belt

If they could somehow fight without touching each other, no one would get hurt.