Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
peterparker66

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindingANARCHY View Post
Pettis via TKO
and how many times has this happened before .

peterparker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
TheWolfsHowl

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertabooey View Post
Pretty much sums it up.

Get hurt, move around, pitter pat, close decision. Then out of nowhere he will finish a guy and shut everybody up. I'm always surprised that he is surprised when he loses a close decision (Bendo x2 & Aldo). Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Aldo was not a close decision. I'm a fan of Edgar, but he only won one round in that fight. You can't even make the argument for 2 rounds, let alone 3. Joe Rogan's bias threw a lot of people off, I think.

May He grant His blessings upon the War Wagon of Daniel Cormier.
TheWolfsHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #13
robertabooey

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfsHowl View Post
Aldo was not a close decision. I'm a fan of Edgar, but he only won one round in that fight. You can't even make the argument for 2 rounds, let alone 3. Joe Rogan's bias threw a lot of people off, I think.
Close or not Frankie expected the nod. Pretty sure he was the only person surprised that Aldo won.

robertabooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
TheWolfsHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertabooey View Post
Close or not Frankie expected the nod. Pretty sure he was the only person surprised that Aldo won.
I wish that were true. A lot of people here scored it for Edgar somehow. Was as clear a 49-46 as I've ever seen.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
biscuitsbrah

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfsHowl View Post
I had it 3-2 for Aldo if you are counting the points system. It was pretty obvious Edgar won the last two rounds.

Aldo did a ton of damage in the first two and if you are talking damage as opposed to points, then it was a blow out. But in the flawed scoring system it was a close fight.

biscuitsbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
MMAdict

Brown Belt

Then edgar, now pettis.

Frankie always makes fights close and squeaks out decisions. That would've happened if they would've fought in january of 2011.

WW:Koreshkov
LW:Alvarez, Pettis, Cowboy, Khabib
FW:McGregor
BW:Faber
MMAdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #17
TheWolfsHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitsbrah View Post
I had it 3-2 for Aldo if you are counting the points system. It was pretty obvious Edgar won the last two rounds.

Aldo did a ton of damage in the first two and if you are talking damage as opposed to points, then it was a blow out. But in the flawed scoring system it was a close fight.
The only round Edgar won was the 4th round. The 5th was clearly Aldo, no matter how many times Rogan was saying how well Edgar was doing. Aldo set the pace, was the one landing the shots and was the one clearly scoring the most points. It was a good round, but Edgar did not win it.

I watched the fight in a crowded bar that didn't have the sound playing, so I didn't have Rogan's bias in my ear. I wish most people had watched the fight without Rogan talking, because that's the only way I can see anyone giving Edgar more than 1 round.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #18
MonstaAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaythai91 View Post
I'd take Edgar now. Pettis struggles with guys who wanna grapple. He beat Bendo but before that he lost to Guida and squeaked by Jeremy Stephens just because he spammed a few takedowns to mix it up.
Struggles with guys that want to grapple? He had one fight where he tried to sub guida off his back and it didn't work, and has beaten every other grappler he's ever faced. Seriously, pettis could fight ten grapplers in a row and finish them all, and people would still say "oh he lost to guida, so (insert wrestler's name here) should beat him."

MonstaAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #19
MonstaAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker66 View Post
and how many times has this happened before .
Pettis has tko'd or ko'd enough people to make it a strong possibility

MonstaAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #20
Muaythai91
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonstaAJ View Post
Struggles with guys that want to grapple? He had one fight where he tried to sub guida off his back and it didn't work, and has beaten every other grappler he's ever faced. Seriously, pettis could fight ten grapplers in a row and finish them all, and people would still say "oh he lost to guida, so (insert wrestler's name here) should beat him."
I'm not saying that, I know he's improved but Edgar is superior to Guida everywhere.

I hear a lot of people saying "Pettis tried to sub Guida off his back in that fight". How delusional can you be?

"Maybe in BJ Penn's fight against Edgar, he tried to break Edgar's hands on his face. Yeah that was the gameplan, unfortunately it didn't work out that time".

Don't you think after being down two rounds he would have started trying to stop takedowns? or better yet with a minute left he would get up and resort to plan b?

Muaythai91 is offline   Reply With Quote