Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #41
Kingfarthur

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangokush View Post
PRIDE rules in the UFC is the way to go

Should have been enacted years ago

Currently MMA is too watered down to be taken seriously

Seems to be only abouthumping the opponent against the cage these days
The sport needs to evolve not devolve
This is best post I've seen on sherdog yet.

People think just because a sport changing, it evolves. They fail to realize that the sport devolves into something worse than it was before. Like the NFL with the defenseless player rule (the worst rule in pro sports history).

The UFC is the top level, so allow every striking technique. Sorry, a guy going for a knee and stopping because a guys hand is on the ground is pretty lame.

Also, the ref telling a fighter to "watch the angle" on his elbows is fucking lame.

Also, a fighter going for an upkick but being penalized because the other fighter had a knee on the ground.

These rules are fucking stupid and water down the sport. If a fighter/athlete wants to be safe, the best thing they can do is retire at a younger age.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #42
ConditFan

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukai View Post
Wrestlers are dominant enough. I'd rather not have them be able to toss people to the ground and stomp them out or jump into the guard and throw 12-6s.
Why? They could finish more. I'd love these rules.

ConditFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #43
glennrod

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangCobraSVT View Post
You can up kick. Who said you couldn't?
But only if the opponent Is standing....upkicks are way more effective when you are throwing them at somebody from the guard position

Didn't I blow your mind this time, didn't I?"
glennrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #44
The_Anti-Hero

Blue Belt

I'd be happy with knees/kicks in the downed position. I agree, the game has become this circle jerk of who can stall out the other.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #45
Wayweary

Black Belt

vCash: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe01 View Post
The brain shuts down before the body. I have fought amateur fights and when you get tagged with something you have no idea was coming, you literally go into survival mode! Not to say you won't regain your senses (at times almost immediately), but you won't know to tap, lay down or keep fighting. It's all instincts at that point. Crawl in a cage and get abused instead of sitting on the couch and talking Sh*t...
Translation: you got your ass beat as an amateur and you think it makes you an expert on getting your ass beat. lol No, you can't say that I'm wrong based on your limited experience. Yes, there are times in a fight when you are hurt and can't think straight. I never denied that. But there are other times when you are getting torn up with no fight left in you, and fighters tend to leave it to the ref to stop it because they don't want to be seen to give up even though they really already have.

Wayweary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #46
jefe01

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayweary View Post
Translation: you got your ass beat as an amateur and you think it makes you an expert on getting your ass beat. lol No, you can't say that I'm wrong based on your limited experience. Yes, there are times in a fight when you are hurt and can't think straight. I never denied that. But there are other times when you are getting torn up with no fight left in you, and fighters tend to leave it to the ref to stop it because they don't want to be seen to give up even though they really already have.
Win, lose, or draw,I put it all out there and actually took fights. Record is 4-2 btw. My losses were a knee bar, and a triangle...my point simply is that if you have never put yourself in that situation, how could you possibly know if you have your senses enough to know that you're done or not?

Old 08-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #47
Wayweary

Black Belt

vCash: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe01 View Post
Win, lose, or draw,I put it all out there and actually took fights. Record is 4-2 btw. My losses were a knee bar, and a triangle...my point simply is that if you have never put yourself in that situation, how could you possibly know if you have your senses enough to know that you're done or not?
Ok, so then you've never been TKO'd? Yet you speak as an authority about it? GTFO

Wayweary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #48
jefe01

White Belt

Easy to say from your easy chair...

Old 08-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #49
HIMBOB

Gold Belt

vCash: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayweary View Post
Are you denying that they generally have an aversion to tapping to strikes or when they are basically just done from exhaustion or suffering too much punishment so that they are too weak to actually win? The ref is there to stop the fight if they can't communicate that they want it stopped, but a fighter often knows that they are done and yet leaves it to the ref to stop things to avoid the stigma of quitting. That leaves the ref in a position to have to guess if a fighter has given up without saying as much which means they are likely to jump the gun more often.
I am saying you need some wits about you to consider tapping out.

I am not at all saying there are no instances where a fighter would have tapped out sooner if he thought soccer kicks were on the cards, its there but its rare.

However not if, no butts, there will be time when a fighter is too dazed to think about tapping and if he can get soccer kicked (like the Huerta example) during that time its going to lead to more serious issues.
Of course this wouldn't be the case if the refs stopped fights sooner to avoid suich situations. But think about that for a second, this would mean refs having to stop fighters as soon as it looks like he might be unable to defend himself (instead of the current showing you are not defending) so this would remove the chance of come backs like say Kongo Barry.

Again its not by chance the most succesful org in the sport has banned these.

Never forget the freedom fry!!!
HIMBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:29 AM   #50
Adamant

Brown Belt

Location: Flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong
vCash: 406
As the rules are now, lay-and-pray and cage-leaning is too prominent. Makes fights boring as all fuck when fighters do it. And even when not doing it, a lot of stuff that happens on the ground is made too safe for wrestlers and BJJ guys. These new rules would even the playing field a bit. In other words, would help rid the boringness that has become an epidemic in UFC.

No more boring fights!