Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Sharknado

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Sharknado's UFC 174 Main Card Predictions

Light Heavyweight (205lbs): Ryan Jimmo vs Ovince St. Preux: Jimmo by tko
Heavyweight (265lbs): Andrei Arlovski vs Brendan Schaub: Arlovski by KO
Light Heavyweight (205lbs): Ryan Bader vs Rafael Cavalcante: Bader via tko

Co-Main
Welterweight (170lbs): Rory MacDonald vs Tyron Woodley: This has potential to either be a fantastic fight. Rory MacDonald looked very good against Maia in his last fight and has the look of a serious contender. And while it saddens me that he beat Carlos Condit, Tyron looked very good on the feet against the former interim champion. As far as stand up I think Tyron without a doubt has the power advantage, if he lands Rory's going to sleep. That being said I think Rory has the better fundamentals, particularly a great jab which he uses to pick apart power punches (Jake Ellenberger) with great success. On the ground Woodley probably has the stronger wrestling game, however MacDonald is very good from top and on his back. He was fully mounted by Demian Maia and ended up getting back to his feet - a Herculean task to say the least. This is a fairly close one, but I'm going with Rory by Unanimous Decision.

Main Event
UFC Flyweight (125lbs) Championship of the World:

Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson vs Ali "Puncher King" Bagautinov:
This fight should be dynamite! Demetrious Johnson (as advertised) is probably the fastest man in all of martial arts. His striking his excellent, using angles, foot work, and distance to pick apart and wear down opponents. He also has one of the best striking to grappling transition games in mixed martial arts, blending in striking combos and take downs in spectacular fashion. He also has a fairly strong submission game as well. Ali Bagautinov is no joke though. He has strong credentials and has won numerous awards in both Sambo and freestyle/greco-roman wrestling. He is also very fast in his own right (though not quite on the same plane as Mighty Mouse) and has devastating power for a flyweight, particularly in his right hand cross counter. On the feet Ali probably has the power advantage, although Johnson showed fantastic power in his last fight KOing Joseph Benavidez, so it's not a huge advantage. On the ground I will give the advantage to Johnson for simply being a bit more slick, although that is also not a huge advantage. The two main factors of this fight will be cardio and ring craft. Simply put, Ali tends to fade a bit down the fight and has never been in a 5 round fight, and Johnson has endless cardio and lives in 5 round fights. Point Demetrious. The second is ring craft. Bagautinov likes to back up against the cage in order to draw people into running into his punches, which is a great strategy for a power puncher, however he doesn't posses great movement once his back is against the cage. Johnson is one of the best in the game at cutting off angles, especially along the cage. I think Johnson will wear down Bagautinov, get a few takedowns, and batter Ali along the fence line with strikes and clench work in line to a Unanimous Decision.

What do you think Sherdog? Am I right on or do I suck balls at predicting fights? Pretty hard picks actually, lot of hard hitters and weak chins on the card. Those are always kind of toss ups.

Official driver of the Yusuke Urameshi hype train!

"I want you to punch a hole through his fuckin chest!!" - Ray Longo
Sharknado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Sharknado

Blue Belt

ttt

Official driver of the Yusuke Urameshi hype train!

"I want you to punch a hole through his fuckin chest!!" - Ray Longo
Sharknado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
ODYSSEYMEMPHIS

Purple Belt

vCash: 186

I can't make my mind up on Woodley vs Rory , i can see a decision going either way

ODYSSEYMEMPHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
thetaylor22

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharknado View Post

Light Heavyweight (205lbs): Ryan Jimmo vs Ovince St. Preux: Jimmo by tko
Heavyweight (265lbs): Andrei Arlovski vs Brendan Schaub: Arlovski by KO
Light Heavyweight (205lbs): Ryan Bader vs Rafael Cavalcante: Bader via tko

Co-Main
Welterweight (170lbs): Rory MacDonald vs Tyron Woodley: This has potential to either be a fantastic fight. Rory MacDonald looked very good against Maia in his last fight and has the look of a serious contender. And while it saddens me that he beat Carlos Condit, Tyron looked very good on the feet against the former interim champion. As far as stand up I think Tyron without a doubt has the power advantage, if he lands Rory's going to sleep. That being said I think Rory has the better fundamentals, particularly a great jab which he uses to pick apart power punches (Jake Ellenberger) with great success. On the ground Woodley probably has the stronger wrestling game, however MacDonald is very good from top and on his back. He was fully mounted by Demian Maia and ended up getting back to his feet - a Herculean task to say the least. This is a fairly close one, but I'm going with Rory by Unanimous Decision.

Main Event
UFC Flyweight (125lbs) Championship of the World:

Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson vs Ali "Puncher King" Bagautinov:
This fight should be dynamite! Demetrious Johnson (as advertised) is probably the fastest man in all of martial arts. His striking his excellent, using angles, foot work, and distance to pick apart and wear down opponents. He also has one of the best striking to grappling transition games in mixed martial arts, blending in striking combos and take downs in spectacular fashion. He also has a fairly strong submission game as well. Ali Bagautinov is no joke though. He has strong credentials and has won numerous awards in both Sambo and freestyle/greco-roman wrestling. He is also very fast in his own right (though not quite on the same plane as Mighty Mouse) and has devastating power for a flyweight, particularly in his right hand cross counter. On the feet Ali probably has the power advantage, although Johnson showed fantastic power in his last fight KOing Joseph Benavidez, so it's not a huge advantage. On the ground I will give the advantage to Johnson for simply being a bit more slick, although that is also not a huge advantage. The two main factors of this fight will be cardio and ring craft. Simply put, Ali tends to fade a bit down the fight and has never been in a 5 round fight, and Johnson has endless cardio and lives in 5 round fights. Point Demetrious. The second is ring craft. Bagautinov likes to back up against the cage in order to draw people into running into his punches, which is a great strategy for a power puncher, however he doesn't posses great movement once his back is against the cage. Johnson is one of the best in the game at cutting off angles, especially along the cage. I think Johnson will wear down Bagautinov, get a few takedowns, and batter Ali along the fence line with strikes and clench work in line to a Unanimous Decision.

What do you think Sherdog? Am I right on or do I suck balls at predicting fights? Pretty hard picks actually, lot of hard hitters and weak chins on the card. Those are always kind of toss ups.

I agree with 4/5. I think OSP wins. I still think you suck balls though. jk. Good analyses

thetaylor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Narddawg

Orange Belt

vCash: 283
My picks are:

OSP Decision
Arlovski KO
Cavalcante TKO
Woodley Decision (this is the toughest one for me to decide, I could see it going either way.)
Johnson Submission (I can see Mighty Mouse wearing him down and finishing him in the championships rounds.)

WW: Diaz, Lawler
LW: Diaz, Guillard, Melendez, Pettis
FW: Aldo, Poirier
Narddawg is offline   Reply With Quote