Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #21
giantveggie

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB2013 View Post
Thomson wasn't the same after the hand/thumb injury, simple as that.

The momentum swung Bendo's way in rounds 2-5 though Thomson might have got the 2nd.
Yeah Bendo really owned round 4... He had great octagon control, he spent most of the round holding down the octagon with his back. 1 takedown and some punches and elbows really takes the lead over 3 takedowns and 4 minutes of domination.

Quote:
Thomson catches a body kick and tries to sweep the leg, but Henderson keeps his balance and follows up with another. After taking a hard leg kick, Thomson whips Henderson to the mat and comes down in half-guard. Henderson puts him back in full guard, then traps Thomson’s left arm in rubber guard to deliver a couple short elbows. Henderson switches to short right hands, then more elbows as he creeps his other leg up. Thomson breaks the posture and stands, then comes back down to put a pair of punches in Henderson’s face. Henderson drives forward, gets cradled and put back on the ground. Henderson scrambles up again, and this time Thomson tries to jump on his back. Thomson can’t make it, and Henderson turns around to score a takedown of his own. Thomson stands with Henderson holding him in a rear waistlock, kneeing and kicking at Thomson’s legs. They separate with 80 seconds left in the round; 30 seconds later, Thomson drags Henderson to the ground and takes back mount with a body triangle once again. Thomson tries to get the crowd going, waving for noise before pulling Henderson to the mat to finish the frame.

giantveggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #22
That209
Unholy

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by countswagula View Post
It's not easy to sink in a rear naked in today's MMA, most guys are extremely well trained to defend it. Still, most guys aren't going to give up a great position while they're working on a sub.
Don't forget that the gloves also play quite a big part of not being able to sink in the RNC. Like in Jiu-Jitsu they teach you how to basically pry your hands under your opponents hand, you can't do that in MMA because of the gloves. Kinda one of the reasons I find BJ's RNC wins are very impressive.

Sherdog; the place where opinion = fact.

Cain Velasquez will go down as the GOAT.
That209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #23
kadeebe

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleFightFan View Post
well, the only non-debate is use of the term "robbery". a close and/or controversial fight should not - by definition - be called a "robbery". it should be called controversial.

was this fight controversial? must be. mmajunkie PBP had fighter A winning 49-46 and sherdog PBP guys had the other had fighter B winning 49-46. that alone would suggest it's controversial.

i think one of em one. and for the purposes of my point, it doesn't matter who i think won. by definition it's controversial. and by any logical or standard definition of "robbery" a "controversial" decision should not be called a "robbery".

alas, no amount of reason or logic will last long around here, sigh.
Thought I'd link the MMA Decisions page on the fight just to add some info to the discussion. You can also peep the fightmetric if you want to. I think even thought the fight might have been close in actuality, when viewed round by round there was a clear winner. I think that most people recognize this clear winner and I do think that robbery is an accurate description of what happened. The fight was close when you look at it all together but that's not how you score a fight.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/484...s-Josh-Thomson

Edit: I guess I should say that I think by virtue of such a large majority of people thinking the fight went the other way and that they thought there was 2 rounds in between them it was a robbery. It makes no sense for so many people to think Thomson won by 2 rounds and then have Bendo win.

Last edited by kadeebe; 01-31-2014 at 07:53 PM.
kadeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #24
jmk1502

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Thomson had the advantage as far as grappling, while Bendo was the better striker. No doubt Thomson would have won if not for the hand issue. Honestly, it could have gone either way. This fight wasn't a "robbery" regardless of who won on the cards.

Now, GSP over Hendricks. That fight DEFINED the term "robbery". A true travesty. That fight was not even close, Hendricks dominated. The only question was whether he won 4 rounds or 3.

JDS, Faber, Mighty Mouse, Jacare, Gus, Big Rig, Josh Thomson, Faber, DC

DC will be the next LHW champ
jmk1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #25
Ackrite

Yellow Belt

lol I didn't even realize there was a controversy. But I only watched with one other person and we both figured Benson would probably get the nod.

A little off topic but just to clarify:

I don't think some of you guys are looking at the terms "robbery" and "controversy" right when it comes to these things. It's not relevant how many people think one guy won or the other that makes it a robbery. A robbery is when one guy VERY CLEARLY won the fight where there should be no legitimate debate to be had. If it is at all debatable then it is not a robbery, it is only controversial. Most cases of robberies are when it appears one guy dominated the fight but somehow the judges missed it. Robberies are very uncommon in MMA. Controversial wins happen almost every other event lately it seems.

I actually can't remember seeing any robberies in 2013. There may have been 1 or 2 at most but certainly not any big fights. There were however numerous big fight controversial wins though; probably more than any year past.

Ackrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #26
Rozwell

Red Belt

You're "making your case" based upon BS FightMetric statistics.