Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #151
Shogun Rising
But when?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_k_m View Post
I have a really hard time watching two professionals slugging out so sloppily.

Shogun Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #152
Jopo

Red Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPo View Post
How is having a 'spine' anything to do with having concerns about brain damage to fighters? If anything, it's more spineless to simply ignore the fact we get entertainment from watching fighters incur potentially significant brain damage. As fans, we're with them for the good times. Not the times in which they can't form a coherent sentence and scarcely remember much of their career at all. You do realise delivering a massive blow to an unconscious person's skull is probably not a good thing, right? When fighters such as Jeremy Stephens do this with likely full knowledge that their opponent is sparko it says something about their personality.

We get it. It's a "fist fight", "the most primal of all sports". That doesn't mean the people we watch are mindless fighting machines stripped of any human feelings or compassion for their opponents and fellow fighters.
I did not mean to imply that you should hit someone if you KNOW they are unconscious. Obviously this is plain morally wrong. But I think people are severely overrating a fighters ability to judge that and make rational decisions while they are fighting.

Also, it just isn't their job. In fact, they are instructed to go until the ref stops it. Also, people act like follow up shots are attempted murder and they are just not. It's not like they were playing basketball and then a guy randomly knocks another guy out and pounds his face in.

These guys are on a shit ton of adrenaline and trained for months for a 15 minute moment and they have to make sure they put the guy trying to kill them away.

No one wants to see a guy brain damaged... but it's a very real possibility and there's simply nothing you can do. No one is forcing them to fight for a living-don't act like fans are somehow taking advantage of them. They are doing what they choose and making money. I really believe we will watch someone die live on TV one day and it is scary but that's just the reality.
In a way, in order to live you have to be willing to die anyway.

Shots after the KO don't concern me half as much as guys who don't know when to hang it up like crocop. The ref usually does a good job preventing those shots.

Jopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #153
Jopo

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanNervPinch View Post
It's almost as if a major segment of fans are aware of, comprehend, and care about everything that is newly and rapidly being learned about brain trauma and its consequences.

Totally weird, man.
awww you just learned blunt force trauma to the head is bad for you huh? Good for you for taking a stand. Much brave. Much intellectual.

why don't you reveal your master plan to reduce brain damage in a sport where you kick people in the head?

I have an idea... lets hire a 3rd guy to stand next to the fighters to stop the fight when a guy goes unconscious or can't mount an offense/defense for a while. Perhaps since they are not fighting to stay conscious at that moment they can more accurately judge when the fight should be stopped.

Jopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #154
KlLLEmAll

Blue Belt

The reason we watch these fights is because there is a risk of injury and death, the danger makes it interesting.

We feel guilty for watching it at the time but without the risk there wouldn't be spectators.

I think the fighters know the risks and what could happen. They have a calling to step up and show the world their the best fighter, the warrior of their generation, to leave a legacy.

There will come a time when someone dies on live PPV, its going to be a horrific moment and terribly sad, but the fighter will at least be remembered for living his life and trying to be someone.

KlLLEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #155
tatsuke

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yookfarb View Post
Ending up like Ali doesn't happen overnight except in extremely rare cases that will almost never happen in the cage.
Look, I'm a fan of MMA (and almost every other sport). But you're incredibly naive if you believe these guys aren't decreasing their quality-of-life and longevity nearly every time they enter the ring. The science is in. This sport measures your record in "knockouts" for crying out loud.

That said, Hunt/Bigfoot was an exciting fight.

tatsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #156
AndrewGolota48

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_k_m View Post
Absolutely, apart from the potential damage to those guys' brains I have a really hard time watching two professionals slugging out so sloppily. Fight of the year my ass, reserve that for when some actual technique comes into play.
I'm genuinely curious as to why that would bother you.

AndrewGolota48 is offline   Reply With Quote