Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
GSP_37

Black Belt

vCash: 1183
You only have two eyes, and you use them for everything throughout the day. You can live to fight again if you suffer a crap ref/judge decision. Ask Anthony Johnson, Alan Belcher, and Mr. Winklejohn which is more of a problem.

GSP_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
SocMaCheema

White Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxxus View Post
My understanding was that most detached retinas weren't from eye pokes, but heavy punches to the face. The retina is all the way in the back of the eye so eye pokes are more likely to damage the cornea or sclera and structures in the front.

Is this not the case?
Yes eye pokes would be more of risk of corneal abrasions, if severe enough can leave scarring to reduce vision. Detached retinas are more from blunt trauma around the eyes/head.

SocMaCheema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
Troscience

White Belt

Eye pokes are bad no doubt but I had a detached retina after no immediate trauma. I had however boxed in my younger years so I'm not sure if it was already loose/weakened. All I know is doctors take it very seriously, scared my me anyway.

Troscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #14
Dart Feld

Red Belt

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by made2collect View Post
So if there wasnt any damage to his eye, how do we explain the recent difference in the appearance.. What I mean is Bispings eye is now somewhat crossed right?
I was talking about Belcher's injury during the fight. Bisping cut his eyelid, people thought at the time that his retina was damaged again.

Bisping himself did get an eye injury from an earlier poke in the fight though, yes.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #15
okilian

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiljoy View Post
with the small gloves and high number of eye pokes happening these days is anybody surprised there isn't more detached retinas. heard belcher was recovering from one. eye poking fighters should have there fingers cut off. shit is dangerous as hell could send someone blind
In most cases detached retina's are not the cause of being poked in the eye. Its blunt force trauma. Buddy of mine got one playing football in high school just from a helmet collision.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #16
Obsidian

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Feld View Post
Belcher's eye injury came during his training camp for Maia(which fell through) not in a fight.

Bisping cut his eyelid, no damage to his eye.

Pretty sure youre wrong about Bisping.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/29...-further-tests

Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote