Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:41 AM   #91
MCS
needle movement expert

vCash: 500
Manuwa has more power than Gus as well, plus he moves better and is more varied than Rumble. Gus moves his hands in a weird way, short shots from odd angles, then a power strike. And he's fast, also has the best footwork in the division. I think Rumble would follow him, miss with those power punches and eat some quicker shots.

MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:59 AM   #92
Got GOAT

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ughugh View Post
Thanks.

It depends. I'd say Manuwa is quicker at throwing when he's moving and he's got the quicker jab and left hook there but he has a tendency to wind up on some of his other punches. He's a tough match-up for Alex though because he's got the ability to close distance and both of his quick punches are with his lead hand and he's a left handed orthodox so...

AJ is quicker throwing with his feet planted but doesn't offer much going forward and his hands are a bit disconnected with his feet. In his case I'd say he presents more of challenge as a counter puncher which could be a threat but invariably would mean that Alex throws first and gets to have the initiative. As a counter puncher AJ would also have to avoid and then throw which ofc means another step and a pretty decent window for Alex to get out. I could see him landing a few but when he moves forward he'll be eating plenty and the ones he lands on the counter will probably not be enough to knock out Alex.

So all in all to me the more usable speed in terms of Alex is Manuwa's.
You make some good points here. I wasn't really thinking about comparing the two when they're stationary, but, AJ is pretty quick with firing off shots when he is planted where Manuwa is quicker when he is moving, especially with his lead left for instance like you said. I mentioned that as being a very fast punch from him too. That lead left hook definitely caught my attention. His overhand right, which he tried to hit Alex with before catching that right hook on the way out (from Alex) was thrown pretty fast too.

1-0 in account bets
2-0 in sig bets
Got GOAT is online now   Reply With Quote