Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
Karelinator
Bulgarian pursuittt

vCash: 1044
Te Huna was wide open for punches, though.

Bet yeah, he had easily looked best he had in long, long while.

Actually mobile and coordinated in his techniques.

Cogito ergo bum.
Karelinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #32
TTech

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
I dont see how any conclusion can be made based on this fight...

TTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #33
Poet of Gore
Banned

te huna had no business being in the same country as shogun. it was a good beating. hopefully he keeps the killer instinct

Poet of Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #34
The_Renaissance

Silver Belt

vCash: 230
Yes, it was good but Te Huna isn't elite, so don't get too carried away just yet.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #35
CPH
Let's party

I have to admit I thought he looked on point last night. However, There isn't much you can say about a fighter based on just 1 minute of fighting. Can he keep this up against an opponent he can't put away so quickly?

CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #36
IloveTHIS

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Renaissance View Post
Yes, it was good but Te Huna isn't elite, so don't get too carried away just yet.
Not elite, sure. But he looked to be twice Shogun's size and also has half the cage-age Shogun has. The dude hits fucking hard. It was a great win for Shogun. Everyone needs a bounce back win at some point...

IloveTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #37
JinKazama

Red Belt

he beat a mid level guy which is to be expected

' He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. '
- Jim Elliot
JinKazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #38
marcus_kane
Microwaved

He looked sharp, but that fight was very short. Te Huna was not giving him enough respect.

As an aside, I sometimes wish Shogun would do that to his more obnoxious fans.

Regardless, I would like to see him make a comeback.

Tear it down
marcus_kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #39
Bloodshedder24

Orange Belt

Shogun looked great, he fought smart. Punching when he had to, he moved si Te Huna couldnt get inside or make an attack.

the fight was short because shogun did a great job

Old 12-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #40
That209
Unholy

vCash: 750
I don't think many people have noticed the difference in Shogun last night and how he was in his past couple fights.

His fights against Jones, Gus, Chael, Vera, he didn't use much footwork, head movement or kicks.. at all.

In his fight last night, he immediately came out with a leg kick, was moving his head better and was actually using footwork. Before in his earlier fights (the ones that I just listed) he would just walk straight forward and try to brawl his opponent out, that wasn't the case last night. It looked like Shogun actually had a gameplan for once, he has tightened up his boxing with Roach, and he used leg kicks and footwork which we haven't seen from him since the Liddell fight & Machida fights.

Shogun showed a huge difference last night, it looked like improvement. He came out and not just because he knocked Te Huna out, from the start of the fight he moved better, used more tools, actually defended a TD (not saying Te Huna is a great wrestler like Shogun's past opponents) and he used distance very well, he was timing his strikes and he countered instead of being the one who is pushing forward throwing bombs over and over and missing.. over and over like he did in the recent past.

I can understand that people are saying you can't judge that much based off of this because it was a short fight and we didn't see Shogun's gas tank very much to see if it has improved (I hope to God it did) - but still, his movement, his boxing, utilizing kicks.. this is something we saw from Shogun quite a few years ago when he was on a tear.

That's why so many people are ecstatic about Shogun right now, he looked great last night and it's been years since he's looking this sharp. Can't wait for his next fight, hopefully it's longer so we can see if he has improved his conditioning. He looked in better shape physically, and technically as a fighter he looked better than he has in years.

Sherdog; the place where opinion = fact.

Cain Velasquez will go down as the GOAT.
That209 is offline   Reply With Quote