Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #151
branchtan

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsingle View Post
because he just got dominated, basically, tj's win didnt count
You aren't too bright are you? TJ's win didn't count, where was that even implied?

RB saved the UFC's ass by taking fights on short notice multiple times, now they are repaying the favor. Simple as that, deal with it chump.

branchtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #152
riddleofsteel
Burroughs the Usurper

Location: Locked in the dark pantry of a group of cannibals.. THANKS DAD!!!
vCash: 190
What multiple times did Barao save a UFC card?
He pulled out of UFC 161
Faber stepped up at UFC 169 by replacing Cruz

riddleofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #153
dmwalking

Purple Belt

fairweather fans. It is a shame that people are trashing him. But don't worry. He'll be back and remind everyone of how great he is. Even if he loses to TJ. I like TJ and would love for him to remain champ and look good doing it. But I also like Renan a lot and know that he's a monster. Win lose or draw, Barao is a killer and deserves respect.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:55 AM   #154
thedirewolf

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP1349 View Post
How quickly we forget how dominant a run that Renan Barao had before his fight with TJ and how quickly we forget that he had a whole month less of training to prepare for that fight with Dillashaw. Iím not a Barao guy, was thrilled to death when Dillashaw won the fight. But the disrespect Barao has garnered since the match up is really sad to me. The guy fought on the Superbowl weekend card with Faber, after Cruz pulls out. Gets to face Urijah on extremely short notice then turns around and does the same thing to save UFC 173 and fight a guy in TJ. Who had he beaten, would have just been ďthe guy that didnít deserve the shot in the first placeĒ and just a name on his long list of victories. He took the fight on short notice for the fans and with everything to lose and ends up getting handled by TJ Dillashaw.

So now suddenly Barao is this bum that is unworthy of an immediate rematch? The guy hadnít lost but once in his 34 fight career up to that fight and that fight was his very first pro fight. And now one bad performance and one beat down against a guy who had a full camp and didnít even CLOSE to deserve a shot in the first place, means that Renan is suddenly unworthy of a title shot? I get that Assuncao has paid his dues. The guy is on a 6 fight win streak; Eduardo, Tamura, Easton, Lee, TJ, and Munhoz. Four of which were by decision. But does that jump a guy who beat Urijah Faber twice, Wineland, McDonald, Jorgensen, and Pickett? Was Raphael decisioning Pedro on like two weeks notice in his first UFC fight really more worthy then Barao beating three of the UFCís very best back to back to back in dominant fashion?

The guy had one bad night since 2005, and has rattled off 9 dominant Zuffa wins in a row before TJ crushed him. Whether the one month, extra helped or hurt? Doesnít really matter but the guy has done what he needs to deserve a immediate rematch and considering Dillashaw had no place in the original fight to begin with going into it, it stands to reason Barao would get his rematch. And itís not like heís getting any advantages here, heís fighting in Dillashawís backyard and if Barao loses heís back to square one having to crawl his way back up. And Cruz probably will take a tune up or two before ever getting a title shot so Assuncao whom was hurt and would have been pushing it to make it to UFC 177, now waits a month and a half to start getting prepped for the winner anyways.

I just donít get where this hate for the rematch is coming from, I really want to see it for one. What happens when they both get the same length camp? Can Dillashaw repeat the performance? Can Barao make the adjustments? There is a lot of questions and I for one am still really excited for this rematch and I just find the hate for it to be unwarranted when you take everything into consideration.

Renan Barao is 32-2 (1) with one loss in his first fight and one loss in his most recent. Letís stop pretending heís some undeserving challenger here.
I agree with everything you say about Barao. He's had an incredible run and doesn't deserve to be treated with contempt or disrespect. On the other hand, neither do T.J. or Assuncao. After such a decisive defeat, Barao should have to win at least one fight against a top guy before rating a rematch, and Assuncao has earned his shot. I don't think immediate rematches are ever a good (or fair) idea unless the first match ended in a questionable stoppage or controversial judge's decision.

thedirewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:02 AM   #155
Steve08

Silver Belt

vCash: 1580
You may have actually just convinced me to change my opinion on this rematch.

Huh.

I still would've really liked to see Assuncao get the shot on the same card as Cruz vs. Barao though, with the winner of Cruz vs. Barao getting the winner of Raph/Dillashaw.

Only Non-Champion Cruz fans are real
Steve08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:11 AM   #156
ill0giKaL

Purple Belt

I agree, good thread ts.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #157
TheCoward

White Belt

I completely agree TS.

Luckily I Barao-lieve that his best days are ahead, not behind him.

TheCoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #158
MrMeanor

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by trane View Post
What sad story? He fought, got dominated for 5 rounds and finished, and now gets a rematch.
Agreed.

WW: Brown
LW: Iaquinta
FW: Poirier
BW: Dillashaw
FLW: Lineker

"True champions prevail no matter what obstacles they encounter"
MrMeanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #159
36thDisciple
Worthless Blue Belt at Time of Death

I thought Dana proclaimed the days of immediate rematches were at an end after Weidman/Silva 2? Fucking disgusting. These rematches are bullshit, there is no defending them, and worse - you can't trust a single fucking thing Zuffa tells you because they will flip flop on their position at a whim.

36thDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote