Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #111
Jehannum

Blue Belt

vCash: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternaldarkness View Post
? should i have said as a professional or should i go and abuse boxrec
marciano fought long before boxrec or the internet and checking that is not proof of anything from back then. it's pretty common knowledge that a whole load of people watched him lose in a fight that was then marked down as an exhibition bout instead of a pro one, which it was supposed to be. you can alter the records but you cannot silence every fker who saw it.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #112
eternaldarkness

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
marciano fought long before boxrec or the internet and checking that is not proof of anything from back then. it's pretty common knowledge that a whole load of people watched him lose in a fight that was then marked down as an exhibition bout instead of a pro one, which it was supposed to be. you can alter the records but you cannot silence every fker who saw it.
i'm not saying he didn't lose at all. he lost as an amateur as well. was just making a point about how good he was and how small he was for a heavyweight. this isn't a he said she said who's the best ever bull crap. was more looking at marciano in relation to modern welterweight fighters. and the state of weight cutting and peoples perceptions of size in fighting. if you want to get down to it tyson was a small heavyweight by modern standards. maybe when he started losing he should have dropped a weight class?

eternaldarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #113
Jehannum

Blue Belt

vCash: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternaldarkness View Post
i'm not saying he didn't lose at all. he lost as an amateur as well. was just making a point about how good he was and how small he was for a heavyweight. this isn't a he said she said who's the best ever bull crap. was more looking at marciano in relation to modern welterweight fighters. and the state of weight cutting and peoples perceptions of size in fighting. if you want to get down to it tyson was a small heavyweight by modern standards. maybe when he started losing he should have dropped a weight class?
Cruiserweight has never had the esteem and financial backing of HW, which is why you had and have fighters from MW to CW moving up to HW for fights.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:38 AM   #114
Hester65

Black Belt

vCash: 500
Love the Rock. You can't ask for a fighter to do much more than he did. He beat everything available in the division at the time. The quality of heavyweight during his reign was on the low side, but the man took all challengers around his weight. At 185-190lbs standing 5'10, he wasn't a big heavy. He wasn't fast handed. He wasn't light on his feet.

Most of his wins lack flash and their are only a handful of recordings, but there are some of the most spectacular happenings ever recorded in his greatest challenges. His finish of Walcott in their first fight is nothing short of legend. Down on all cards going into the 13th round, Rocky cornered Walcott and landed a perfect, short counter right had that seperated Walcott from his consciousness. In the 7th round of his rematch with Charles, Rocky's nose was split up the middle from a Charles uppercut. Needing a finish the next round to avoid a stoppage loss, Rock unloads a barrage of haymakers one after another in which Charles cannot survive. Charles that lasted 15 rounds with him in their 1st encounter.

Rock was an unrelenting tornado of bad intention punches. His timing was awkward, yet remarkably effective. Whatever boxing prowless that Rock had (which there was some), is usually lost in his unconventional nature. Tough as nails, head like a block of stone, gas tank of the best welters at the time.

I absolutely love the story. A guy late to the sport, undersized and lacking talent, can will his way to arguably one of the top 10 heavyweight careers ever.

Last edited by Hester65; 08-19-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Hester65 is offline   Reply With Quote