Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #21
chefdiablo

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frode Falch View Post
He overthinks and analyse just about every little thing. While forgetting that much of the stuff just happens in the moment..

But he seem like a nice guy. Nothing personal against him.

Just not my cup of tea.
This is why practice, training, and muscle memory are vital in any sport or game that rely on hand eye co-ordination.

The repetition and proper practice makes those 'in the moment' aspects seem mundane but they are actually the results of hard work.

Good fighters can often improvise well because of their work on fundamentals and overall experience. Average fighters tend to remain average for their entire careers unless they begin to learn and practice new things.

Musicians do the same thing. A guitarist with basic chops and limited knowledge of the fretboard and various scales will rarely be as creative as someone that is constantly learning and practicing new things. When pushed into performing and improvisation the basic guitarist will fall back into his comfort zone and play very much the same as before, while the guitarist that constantly learns new things will be able to venture well outside of that comfort zone and still be creative 'in the moment'.

Perhaps Jack does go too deep in some areas and maybe he does see things that are coincidental now and then. I personally respect his articles because I teach Guitar, cooking, as well as pool/billiards, and I focus a great deal on the deep and technical stuff when my students are open to it. Most of the time those students are the ones that develop the most and in many cases far exceed my knowledge and talent at some point. Not everyone is willing to learn like that though, many gifted or naturally talented people just do things without completely understanding how or why they do it so well.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #22
SODACKER

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulti1 View Post
Yes fighters don't think when they fight... They just train for months and when they get into the cage they just hit auto pilot and let their muscle memory do all the work. Yea ok bud
That's what athletes do. They train and their body knows what to do. Do you think a running back does a full analysis on whether or not he is going to try and juke left or juke right or spin or truck some one as they are running? No they have trained all those different techniques and when the time does it his body just reacts.

Do think that when a striker sees a opening he thinks and considers the pros and cons of whether or not he should kick or throw an upper cut or an over hand?

"The harder I work the luckier I get" Ralph Engelstead
SODACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #23
ultramanhyata

Brown Belt

Slack has the terminology and the history down. In that regard his articles are very informative and entertaining to a layman like me. But anyone who thinks this guy is one step away from becoming the striking coach at Jackson's or ATT is kidding themselves. Slack reminds me of an Uncle I used to have who would sit in the Lazyboy drinking a beer while technically analyzing the hell out of an NFL game. Even though he had never played or coached a day in his life.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #24
Fight Gone Bad

Brown Belt

bunch of babies whining instead of learning

Old 09-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #25
Sinc3r3
Dutchies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frode Falch View Post
He overthinks and analyse just about every little thing. While forgetting that much of the stuff just happens in the moment..

But he seem like a nice guy. Nothing personal against him.

Just not my cup of tea.
I think that the stuff that's happening in the moment as you say is exactly the stuff to write about. They are the moments that show what's engrained into the fighter's brain and muscle memory.

That means that those moments are very important since they don't have much time, if any, to think and they need to rely on their training. I love it when someone picks up on the small stuff that I seem to miss most of the time.

Alistair Overeem Dream & K1 HW Champ
Gegard Mousasi Dream LHW Champ
Manhoef P4P striking Champ
Sinc3r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:45 AM   #26
Frode Falch
Professional Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramanhyata View Post
Slack has the terminology and the history down. In that regard his articles are very informative and entertaining to a layman like me. But anyone who thinks this guy is one step away from becoming the striking coach at Jackson's or ATT is kidding themselves. Slack reminds me of an Uncle I used to have who would sit in the Lazyboy drinking a beer while technically analyzing the hell out of an NFL game. Even though he had never played or coached a day in his life.
I kinda like this post.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #27
Ughugh
Banned

Quote:

Ughugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #28
UJustGotChaeld

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fisticuffs View Post
I don't get why Jack gets so much slack (pun intended) on these forums.

I like most of his stuff, and at his worst he's okay. It's a good thing that he can provide the average fan with a bit of in-depth pointers about striking, even if isn't the be-all end-all analysis some people seem to expect.

Yet again, a great article with some good observations on TJ's style.
I believe you meant Jack gets flak, not slack.

I enjoy Jack.

(GSP has) established himself as #1. Over Anderson and everyone else. Including Fedor.
UJustGotChaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:06 AM   #29
ShreddinMMA

Silver Belt

Quote:
From the way he's described himself, he does train.

And what he talks about is the habits that fighters use. When he writes his articles he usually has multiple examples in the fight of a fighter using a certain technique. And he usually relates it to a general principle, like cutting the ring off or to use a jab.

He doesn't get overly complex THAT often. And guys like Eddie Alvarez have requested to talk to him. That should show that he has a pretty decent idea what he's talking about.

Cormier is taking that belt.
ShreddinMMA is offline   Reply With Quote