Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 AM   #181
Ghos

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun'n'Run View Post
It was definitely an exaggeration, but it wouldn't have been a bad call if you'd at least addressed the weight issue. If it weren't for that fact, I'd agree with you that it was a squash match. Definitely not the worst ever though.
I wasn't aware the fight was at FW when I made the post. If I had been I might not have been so outspoken.

Ghos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:06 AM   #182
Ghos

Orange Belt

Also, take it was you will, but Bieke's training camp just posted that he broke his foot on the very first kick of the fight.

Quote:
"For those asking JUMABIEKE is ok, he did fracture his foot first kick. He is disappointed at a decision loss. He will be back 2 bantamweight"
https://twitter.com/PhuketTopTeam

Ghos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #183
Allidoiswin

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghos View Post
I admit it, Bieke was a massive let down. The guy looked terrible, and got out wrestled by someone who comes from a team of bad wrestlers. I didn't know he wasn't fighting at his natural weight, but still, terrible performance and bad call on my part! Still, I stand by my original point, which was this was clearly a squash match. I don't care whether he lost, any fight where a surging undefeated local fighter is taking on a 5-0 filipino who hasn't fought in three years and doesn't have a win over any opponent with a winning record is a bad, bad, match.

Bieke was just shit, and Eddiva was on point.
I think the point is that the UFC talent scouts and match makers knew A LOT MORE about the fighters and their camps then the idiot wiki-warrior sherdogger who started this thread. You saw maybe 2 fights on OneFC and read his Sherdog record and automatically assumed it was a shoe in. You knew nothing about Eddiva or his team. Reports had Tuerxun's team seemly underestimating his opponent whilst training for him, essentially losing because they were just as stupid and overconfident as you.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #184
The_Renaissance

Silver Belt

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun'n'Run View Post
Tuerxun is a BW, this fight was at FW

And this means what, exactly?

How does this counter my claim that Eddiva was SUPPOSED TO BE, a gimme fight for Tuerxun?

Old 03-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #185
WalkenWouldOwn
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme!

vCash: 1345
Quote:
I wasn't aware the fight was at FW when I made the post. If I had been I might not have been so outspoken.
Quote:
Also, take it was you will, but Bieke's training camp just posted that he broke his foot on the very first kick of the fight.

https://twitter.com/PhuketTopTeam
Shhhhhhhhh.

Just stop. Just stop.

3 words:
I
was
wrong

That's all you need here.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #186
Alexandergreat3
In Fedor We Trust, amen™

vCash: 37660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allidoiswin View Post
I think the point is that the UFC talent scouts and match makers knew A LOT MORE about the fighters and their camps then the idiot wiki-warrior sherdogger who started this thread.
Are you saying the UFC intended to give the Bieke (the chinese fighter) an opponent that they know would beat him?

Seems to me their plan was to give him an easy match up so that he can win and get the Chinese viewers more excited about the UFC, but the plan failed.

TS was basically saying that the UFC intended to give him an easy match, and it certainly looked like that on paper.

Quote:
Reports had Tuerxun's team seemly underestimating his opponent whilst training for him, essentially losing because they were just as stupid and overconfident as you.
TS called it a gimme fight, and he had good reason to do so. The UFC match maker most likely set up this fight because they also thought it was a gimme fight for the Chinese fighter.

TS isn't wrong because their plan failed.

"What you talking about? Jesus took a beating before reaching God status"
- Vale_Tudo
Alexandergreat3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #187
Allidoiswin

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandergreat3 View Post
Are you saying the UFC intended to give the Bieke (the chinese fighter) an opponent that they know would beat him?

Seems to me their plan was to give him an easy match up so that he can win and get the Chinese viewers more excited about the UFC, but the plan failed.

TS was basically saying that the UFC intended to give him an easy match, and it certainly looked like that on paper.

TS called it a gimme fight, and he had good reason to do so. The UFC match maker most likely set up this fight because they also thought it was a gimme fight for the Chinese fighter.

The only people saying that are people who had no idea who the fighters were. That was my point.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:40 AM   #188
Allidoiswin

Blue Belt

Quote:
But Bieke really, really under-performed here. It was the worst I'd seen him look, and he got outwrestled by a guy from a team with traditionally terrible wrestling. Bad fight, and a bad call on my part!

Edit 2: Also, take it as you will, but Bieke's training camp posted that he broke his foot on his very first kick of the fight. https://twitter.com/PhuketTopTeam
Oh and another thing

He's the worst he's ever looked because he fought someone other then a can. I get the feeling you would be on his nuts saying how amazing he looked if was able to pull of the triangle. Stop trying to defend your stupidity.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:31 AM   #189
UJustGotChaeld

Black Belt

vCash: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandergreat3 View Post

If they wanted to give him a gimme fight why did they give him a fight vs someone 1 weight class higher, not his own weight class?

(GSP has) established himself as #1. Over Anderson and everyone else. Including Fedor.
UJustGotChaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #190
DysDave

Orange Belt

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allidoiswin View Post
I think the point is that the UFC talent scouts and match makers knew A LOT MORE about the fighters and their camps then the idiot wiki-warrior sherdogger who started this thread. You saw maybe 2 fights on OneFC and read his Sherdog record and automatically assumed it was a shoe in. You knew nothing about Eddiva or his team. Reports had Tuerxun's team seemly underestimating his opponent whilst training for him, essentially losing because they were just as stupid and overconfident as you.
I actually feel for the OP here. He was right, this WAS intended as a squash match by the UFC- champions from other countries are huge. Dana would love NOTHING more than a Chinese champion to give China something to pull for, and this was their biggest hope. Chinese market is an enormous untapped venue for MMA currently.

It has nothing to do with the UFC planning a close fight, this was intended to be a stepping stone to push him to the top, and it backfired. Rory was being pushed for the top, the UFC gave him Lawler as a big name to add to his credentials, and ended up getting beat. Cro Cop was given Gonzaga to push himself to the top, and got his head kicked off. Silva was a tailormade opponent for Overeem to get himself into title contention.

The UFC chooses who they want to push, and try to help them along as best they can- but in a fight, things go wrong. Sometimes the guy you pick just brings an extra level and manages to take a win, despite everything looking against them. This was just one of those, Tuerxan had a terrible night, Eddiva had a phenomenal one. Respect to him.

And TS came out and admitted he got it wrong, respect for that too. Sometimes the best laid plans fail.

DysDave is offline   Reply With Quote