Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #41
apizur

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
I like how this term "pop" came to be. When I developed pop it really was just me getting the timing so dead on that all my separate muscles could move at full speed. You've got people nowadays shucking their shoulders, extending their elbows extra hard, and doing all kinds of crazy stuff.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #42
Discipulus

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillW View Post
This has always interested me as well. Always wondered what is my best punch. I wish they would find an exact way to measure that could be made available to boxing gyms.

I think the terms get mixed up. Some people refer to snapping as pulling your punches back fast. but the way I was taught was getting your shoulder to snap during the motion of the punch.

Snap your shoulder out during the weight transfer on the LH.
Pushing the right shoulder out and pulling the left shoulder back on the right.
Popping your shoulder out on the uppercut.
Pushing from your left shoulder for the jab and pulling back onto the right.

Thats what shoulder snapping is to me. My coach would always yell out make sure to snap the hook, jab, etc.
All of that sounds like an injury waiting to happen.

Twitter: @ConnorRuebusch

Facebook: facebook.com/ConnorRuebuschMMA

heavyhandspodcast.com
Discipulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #43
Ignoramus

Orange Belt

Quote:
This has always interested me as well. Always wondered what is my best punch. I wish they would find an exact way to measure that could be made available to boxing gyms.

I think the terms get mixed up. Some people refer to snapping as pulling your punches back fast. but the way I was taught was getting your shoulder to snap during the motion of the punch.

Snap your shoulder out during the weight transfer on the LH.
Pushing the right shoulder out and pulling the left shoulder back on the right.
Popping your shoulder out on the uppercut.
Pushing from your left shoulder for the jab and pulling back onto the right.

Thats what shoulder snapping is to me. My coach would always yell out make sure to snap the hook, jab, etc.
Don't confuse internal rotation of the shoulder at the end of the punch for over-extension of the shoulder. Or else this:

Ignoramus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #44
WillW

Orange Belt

Have a hard time explaining things, I was referring to something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Q95Q3r2OU

http://www.sugarboxing.com/the-left-...d-masterclass/

http://www.sugarboxing.com/shadow-bo...ap-in-general/

Also what exactly is happening in that Gif, as far as the injury is concerned. It looks like KZ got his arm stuck on aldo's shoulder in a bad way. Hope he makes a quick return.

WillW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #45
Ignoramus

Orange Belt

The motion JT Van is showing is supposed to be hinged from the hips not the shoulders.

Edit: I get the snap at the end, though, but I think it's important to pull your scapula back whilst doing it.

Last edited by Ignoramus; 12-02-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Ignoramus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #46
jensen34

Orange Belt

Quote:
They do, it's called full sparring.

jensen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #47
ssullivan80
Black Dress Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylandthesmith View Post
Is there any way to determine (without actually taking a swing at someone) if a fighter has knockout power? Or does it also depend upon the strength of the opponent (i.e. how strong the striker is relative to how strong neck muscles the recipient has)?
Even if there were (speculative) what the hell would it matter? Having knockout power is useless if you can't knock someone out........ There are a whole lot of people (fighters and non fighters) of all different shapes, sizes and athletic ability that could generate the power to knock someone out, it really don't take that much.

There are a lot more fighters that hit hard, than there are fighters that KO opponents consistently. A fighters knockout power alone is irrelevant, it's his ability to knock someone out that is relevant. Hence, the only way to accurately measure a fighters ability to produce KO's ain't a complex scientific analysis.

Fighter with 100% KO POWER = jack shit

Fighter with 100% KO RATIO = The one who can knock ya the fuck out!

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."
- Ali
ssullivan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #48
SummerStriker

Brown Belt

^ True Dat

Once you get into sparring, even with fit athletes, even going lightly, you will occasionally wobble them or knock the wind out of them because they happen to walk into a hit or do not see it coming and are unprepared. A strong kicker can throw his best hit dead into the arms or body of his opponent and despite causing pain and injury, may still not be enough to prevent the counter attack or slow them down right away.

On the other hand, if they slip right when they should have gone left and duck their head into a 10% right cross, they might end up seeing some stars.