Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #21
autocorrelation

Orange Belt

vCash: 50
i think 95% percent of people in germany could not name a single fighter from ufc... nor distinguish between ufc and mma.

autocorrelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #22
chefdiablo

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Grover View Post
The popularity of MMA in Canada is vastly overblown.

Same here. 2 or 3 years ago you had to reserve a table a day in advance if you wanted a spot to sit. Now they don't even show it.
I agree.

Canadians are MMA fans, but the population is not really very big compared the land size. Many Canadian fans are the definition of casual. They follow GSP, and Rory, and few others unless they are friends and family or something.

It almost compares to back in the early 90's with MLB and the Blue Jays, everyone was suddenly a baseball fan filling up the Skydome, (Rogers Center now) until they starting to lose and the team had to rebuild. Even now a game sells reasonably well, but half of them are just casual fans having a day or night out. Hardcore fans of any sport are deeply invested on several levels, not just when their home team is winning, or when they have a well known name filling up the headlines.

Run a big UFC event while the Stanley Cup playoffs are on and Canadian teams are still in the running, that event will be almost a non story in comparison.

Edit; Even the at the bars, the event would be on small TV in the quiet corner while the hockey game gets most of the attention.