Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #41

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by manji View Post
While I disagree on whether Askren is worth 40k or not, the general premise is on the dot.

The UFC is a business first and foremost, and it's about return on investment. They've had a lot of experience overpaying guys that ended up fizzling and not drawing enough fans (cough Overeem). Some guys just cost too much money.
This is the dumbest attitude about consumerism I have ever heard, and it is super common on this site. Would you be pissed off if you bought a car that turned out to be a piece of shit, or say "well ford is a business first, buying expensive parts that may not work properly anyways makes sense"? Computer programs made by shitty developers? No. This is the only place I have seen where the consumer wants a better ROI for the company more than a good product.

7437 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #42
daweedy

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7437 View Post
This is the dumbest attitude about consumerism I have ever heard, and it is super common on this site. Would you be pissed off if you bought a car that turned out to be a piece of shit, or say "well ford is a business first, buying expensive parts that may not work properly anyways makes sense"? Computer programs made by shitty developers? No. This is the only place I have seen where the consumer wants a better ROI for the company more than a good product.
Yeah why do people keep defending companies instead of what they want?! I will never get that. And one more question, do people really want to see Wee fight more than Askren or Fitch? I highly doubt it. I am not a fan of ASkren but I would really like to see how he fares against UFC WW. I think the sole reason why they didnt pick Askren is beacuse they are afraid that Bjorn will prove that they dont have all the best fighters, and by watching last fight night I kind of agree. Seriously I come from a small country (only 2 million people) and our regional shows have way better fights and fighters that were on UFN 34 prelims. I used to think they wouldnt do well in the UFC but now, why the hell not. Most of proffesional fighters that come from my gym would absolutly kill Wee and the other guy, or even Kikuno. I dont want to bash Wee since I am not opposed to him getting a chance for more buck, but seriously I have never seen that low level fighters in Bellator, Wsof or anywhere (which are according to some, inferior companies) And UFC makes so much money from one card, Dana has so many ferraris, would it be so hard to give Askren, Fitch, Okami who are all ranked 30 or 40k per fight? I f or one want to see the best fighters compete against eachother, and the childish cheap UFC officials are keeping us from that.

daweedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #43
Evangelion

Black Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by daweedy View Post
Yeah why do people keep defending companies instead of what they want?! I will never get that. And one more question, do people really want to see Wee fight more than Askren or Fitch? I highly doubt it. I am not a fan of ASkren but I would really like to see how he fares against UFC WW. I think the sole reason why they didnt pick Askren is beacuse they are afraid that Bjorn will prove that they dont have all the best fighters, and by watching last fight night I kind of agree. Seriously I come from a small country (only 2 million people) and our regional shows have way better fights and fighters that were on UFN 34 prelims. I used to think they wouldnt do well in the UFC but now, why the hell not. Most of proffesional fighters that come from my gym would absolutly kill Wee and the other guy, or even Kikuno. I dont want to bash Wee since I am not opposed to him getting a chance for more buck, but seriously I have never seen that low level fighters in Bellator, Wsof or anywhere (which are according to some, inferior companies) And UFC makes so much money from one card, Dana has so many ferraris, would it be so hard to give Askren, Fitch, Okami who are all ranked 30 or 40k per fight? I f or one want to see the best fighters compete against eachother, and the childish cheap UFC officials are keeping us from that.
Fitch was making 52/52 in disclosed salary. So I doubt he would of been happy with 30 or 40k per fight.

No one is saying they don't want the best fighters in the Ufc. They are saying that they understand it's a business and sometimes the cost a fighter demands isn't equal to his value.

It's you who's being childish by acting like this doesn't play a huge part in who the Ufc signs. Businesses like to make money, this isn't hard to understand.

Btw Fitch hasn't looked impressive in years. It's hilarious people are still bitching about his release. Especially when half of them were complaining about how boring he was 6 months before his release.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #44
Evangelion

Black Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7437 View Post
this comparison makes no sense. It's almost as stupid as when people compare the Ufc to team sports leagues.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #45
daweedy

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion View Post
Fitch was making 52/52 in disclosed salary. So I doubt he would of been happy with 30 or 40k per fight.

No one is saying they don't want the best fighters in the Ufc. They are saying that they understand it's a business and sometimes the cost a fighter demands isn't equal to his value.

It's you who's being childish by acting like this doesn't play a huge part in who the Ufc signs. Businesses like to make money, this isn't hard to understand.

Btw Fitch hasn't looked impressive in years. It's hilarious people are still bitching about his release. Especially when half of them were complaining about how boring he was 6 months before his release.
So? That is not a lot of money for such a huge company like that. I am pretty sure that suits in the background we dont even see, make much more than guys who actually fight. And why do you keep defendig them? And I am pretty sure Fitch would be OK with a smaller salary. Not Happy, but ok. Fitch last few fights were far from boring. He may not be that impressive, but he is still better that 2/3 of UFC WWs. I am not childish. I want to see best fighters compete against eachoter. Isnt that what the UFC always brags about? But on the other hand even less important fights interest me. But for that I go on regional shows. If they dont want to pay all of the top ten fighters than at least co-promote. It is what the fans want. What if Akren is capable of defeating Hendricks or Lawler? And I am pretty sure UFC will be talking how Lawler or Hendricks are the best WWs on the planet regardless. How is that for fair?

daweedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #46

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion View Post
this comparison makes no sense. It's almost as stupid as when people compare the Ufc to team sports leagues.
Do you want the best product, or a better ROI for the UFC? Cause it seems like many people want the latter.

7437 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #47
refugee

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by daweedy View Post
Seriously has any of you watched the prelims and saw Royston Wee vs Dave Galera fight? Those two fighters should be fighting amateur fights not in the UFC. Did they really signed those two and not Ben Askren. Its beyond redicoulus. It was a fight where one guy was laying in the other guys guard,and the guy on the bottom had zero takedown defence and had no clue how to stand up. I know this might sound redicoulus but I would have no problem fighting either of them. I think I have already fought better opponents in my amateur mma carrer. Why do you guys think UFC hires this types of fighters. I know they need fillers but why would you cut Okami, Fitch and pass on Askren, and then hire Dave Galera!!
Not sure you only picked on Wee, there are few fighters on the card did worst than him, like Mairbek & Bang (it was strange n bad fight), Mulhern who decide to give up 9' reach advantage to pull guard on Kikuno, Shimizu who demostrated 0 offense...

At least Wee pulled off 2 beautiful slam td...

refugee is offline   Reply With Quote