Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #151
BrazilianDude

Silver Belt

vCash: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankeray View Post
Stays the same for me. Weidman is a tough guy and Machida almost beat him. I'd love to see a rematch down the road. Machida's counters were very well executed, Weidman unfortunately is a tough sonofabitch...much to his credit.
Agree with all you said.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #152
Lanshire

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
I think it stayed about the same.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #153
5Rounder

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackonflame View Post
Rise.

Everyone, including Weidman and his camp accused Machida of having a glass chin and predicted an early KO victory. Didn't happen.

Others said Weidman would take Machida down at will and once it hit the ground, Chris would end the fight with devastating GNP. Didn't happen.

Still others exaggerated about Weidman's superior BJJ skills and predicted that Chris would take Machida's back and sub him. Again, didn't happen.

Machida lost but in the process made Chris look very beatable.
The odds for this fight were fairly close and that's reflective of the general perception that this was going to be an evenly contested scrap. It's disingenuous to claim, after the fact, that "everyone" predicted that Weidman would score an early KO/GNP/submission. So, since the premise is almost certainly flawed, so is the logical conclusion. I think Machida actually did worse than a lot of people thought, including myself, and the fact that he was beaten down in 4 of 5 rounds is something that most people probably didn't predict.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #154
Shaungotti

Brown Belt

It didn't really change in my mind. I admit that I thought Machida would win. I figured he'd spend a lot of time measuring and wait for that one big collision as Weidman moved forward but it never really happened. He had a couple moments but for most of the fight it looked less like he was measuring and more like he was just reacting defensively.

Machida's a great fighter and he's proven that. If he wins a couple fights he'll be right back in line for another shot.

Shaungotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #155
dc007
mr. white belt

Stays the same. He is one of the best fighters in the world without a doubt. For me, Weidman's stock went up because I thought Machida would KO him at some point.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #156
GrAtI

Purple Belt

vCash: 726
stays the same

Old 07-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #157
Sirwastealot

Brown Belt

Risen just a little because of the aggressiveness and will to win he showed in the final rounds. Weidman was pretty dominant until the fourth round, it takes a lot to get back in the fight like that and really go for it.

But not by a lot. For me his stock was already pretty high after he beat mousasi. Second best MW

- Tabarnakos
Sirwastealot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #158
bjjHERRERA

Black Belt

imo it fell because before the fight i thought there was a BIG chance hed be champ again. now, i dont think its gonna happen unless theres some freak ko of jones or weidman. still think hes awesome tho and eagerly await all his fights-

Old 07-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #159
Bradshaw

Blue Belt

vCash: 50
I saw Machida as THE next middleweight champ before the fight. Now i think Weidman would even beat him if they rematched. Stock falling in my book and i'm a Machida fan.

Bradshaw is online now   Reply With Quote