Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #21
Uchi Mata

Red Belt

vCash: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni002 View Post
Would be a step down for Khabib. Cowboy is a good striker/popular name, but Khabib puts on insane pressure that I believe won't be contained by Cowboy, or anyone besides the top elite LWs. Khabib should be able to end this fight quick
If Ceronne beats Martins I'd like to see it. I think Khabib would kill him, but Cowboy is a big enough name that it would get Khabib some needed exposure and make fights with the top guys easier for him to get.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #22
Merman

Green Belt

vCash: 500
172 is a strange catchweight...why not 155?

Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #23
samoajoe

Purple Belt

vCash: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedorandBjpenn View Post
how bout we see how Cerrone looks against a REALLY tough Adriano Martins first..
no offense to the guy but if the road to octagon is anything to go off of that camp of his isn't cut it against someone in the top 10 ten who fights out of a real gym with other fighters.

samoajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #24
BionicCommando

Red Belt

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoajoe View Post
no offense to the guy but if the road to octagon is anything to go off of that camp of his isn't cut it against someone in the top 10 ten who fights out of a real gym with other fighters.

The pure talent is there though. I haven't seen Road to the Octagon so I don't know if they covered the story but the UFC wanted to sign Martins a while back. He said he wasn't ready for the UFC...so they offered him a contract with Strikeforce on the spot. That's how badly they wanted him in the organization.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #25
Cosmic Cthulhu

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Cerrone's hardly a step down for Khabib.

Cerrone has wins over Dunham, Varner, Guillard, Siver. All solid wins. Not to mention, he had an extremely close fight with Benson, too.

Khabib's biggest win is Pat Healy. I understand he's on an insane unbeaten streak, and his UFC fights have been entertaining, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Khabib's an extremely competent grappler who hits hard, but Cerrone's striking is MUCH better and he takes a good shot. His TDD isn't exactly awful either.

I can see ways for both guys to win, and it's a good fight to make assuming Cerrone wins on Saturday and doesn't come away with any injuries.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #26
DoUEvenLiftBro

Green Belt

vCash: 50
If Khabib comes to fight, I think Cerrone would win. If Khabib comes to grapple, it'd be boring. I still haven't forgiven him for the Tibau "fight." If you can't get the take down, do something else.

DoUEvenLiftBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #27
JoeJohnston

Orange Belt

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerun406 View Post
**I thought Cerrone was considering dropping to Featherweight
This fight would force him to move down to 145