Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #41
Kneeuinthenutz

Gold Belt
 
Kneeuinthenutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the wave of MMA taking over the world.
Posts: 21,209
vCash: 500
Consider this.

Look at how the UFC treated Anthony Pettis when it comes to title fights. Someone with 4 UFC fights under his belt and was 3-1 (arguably 2-2.

They gave him a title shot in a division he didn't even fight in out of nowhere, and with absolutely no justification. Then after Pettis got injured and dropped out of that fight, they gave him ANOTHER title shot in another division. Then when Pettis got injured again? They let him sit out for well over a year, while establishing no interim belt while keeping the entire division on hold.

I think Gus may have a legit gripe.

Not to mention DC is jumping ahead of Gus when DC only has 2 wins at LHW, and against competition pretty much everyone would say doesn't warrant a title shot.

Just putting out the facts.

Kneeuinthenutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #42
Sally Davis

Purple Belt
 
Sally Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneeuinthenutz View Post
Consider this.

Look at how the UFC treated Anthony Pettis when it comes to title fights. Someone with 4 UFC fights under his belt and was 3-1 (arguably 2-2.

They gave him a title shot in a division he didn't even fight in out of nowhere, and with absolutely no justification. Then after Pettis got injured and dropped out of that fight, they gave him ANOTHER title shot in another division. Then when Pettis got injured again? They let him sit out for well over a year, while establishing no interim belt while keeping the entire division on hold.

I think Gus may have a legit gripe.

Not to mention DC is jumping ahead of Gus when DC only has 2 wins at LHW, and against competition pretty much everyone would say doesn't warrant a title shot.

Just putting out the facts.
Beating Manuwa doesn't really warrant a title shot either.

This is why I don't have a problem with either of them getting it.

BUT...after all the shit that went down the past 2 weeks, I would much rather see DC get a shot first. Not to mention he's 35 and he isn't getting any younger so the best time to make this fight is now.

Sally Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #43
darticus

Blue Belt
 
darticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
Problem for Gus is as soon as that brawl happened that became the fresh and exciting thing for people to want to see. I honestly believe had that not happened Gus might have got the fight back because that is the fight people would have wanted to see more.

darticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #44
HeexX
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The snowy plains on which the Mauler roams
Posts: 6,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Davis View Post
Beating Manuwa doesn't really warrant a title shot either.

This is why I don't have a problem with either of them getting it.

BUT...after all the shit that went down the past 2 weeks, I would much rather see DC get a shot first. Not to mention he's 35 and he isn't getting any younger so the best time to make this fight is now.
Uhm, if you think beating Manuwa is why he deserves one, you must have been living under a rock or something.

__________________
The Mauler is taking the belt of gold to the North.
HeexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #45
Non
Burnt Face Top Team
 
Non's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 23,071
vCash: 500
I can understand why Gus is upset and a lot of fans felt the same thing when Chael was still granted a title shot against Jones despite Machida saying he would've accepted the fight had he known the timeframe.

Gus was the title challenger. He had to pull out and so a replacement was found. Now that the fight is pushed forward, he could fight and feels like the first fight should be made.

Non is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #46
CPH
Let's party
 
CPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 9,918
vCash: 500
I don't know about that. I'm as big a fan of Cormier as I am of Gus but the fact is that Cormier was the stand-in. If both are available, I believe that the most fair would be for Gus to go first.

That said, I think that Cormier retains his spot. The UFC will probably feel that jerking the fans around left and right isn't a good move.

CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #47
SuperNerd
Season Mode.
 
SuperNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 32,683
vCash: 500
Gus' goal is to get the belt, you know that right?

__________________
A Nightmare on Helm Street
SuperNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #48
EightyDeuce

White Belt
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Put yourself in his position you just lost out on Millions of dollars (PPV, Sponsors and endorsement deals if he wins) and potentially a UFC Belt and now most likely you will have to fight again (maybe a killer like Rumble) before you get another chance at fighting Bones. I don't agree w/ him but can certainly understand his bitterness. He went from the biggest fight of the year to being an after thought in everyone's mind


Last edited by EightyDeuce; 08-13-2014 at 07:49 PM.
EightyDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #49
abracadordosaco
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightyDeuce View Post
Put yourself in his position you just lost out on Millions of dollars (PPV, Sponsors and endorsement deals if he wins) and potentially a UFC Belt and now most likely you will have to fight again (maybe a killer like Rumble) before you get another chance at fighting Bones. I don't agree w/ him but can certainly understand his bitterness. He went from the biggest fight of the year to being an after thought in everyone's mind
Yeah this makes a lot of sense. He wants the big fight and he wants the belt.

__________________
If you ask me something stupid then Iím going to answer it with something stupid and if I hear myself talk something stupidÖthen Iím going to throw a fucking really serious fit for no fucking reason.
abracadordosaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"