Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #41
Kneeuinthenutz

Gold Belt

vCash: 500
Consider this.

Look at how the UFC treated Anthony Pettis when it comes to title fights. Someone with 4 UFC fights under his belt and was 3-1 (arguably 2-2.

They gave him a title shot in a division he didn't even fight in out of nowhere, and with absolutely no justification. Then after Pettis got injured and dropped out of that fight, they gave him ANOTHER title shot in another division. Then when Pettis got injured again? They let him sit out for well over a year, while establishing no interim belt while keeping the entire division on hold.

I think Gus may have a legit gripe.

Not to mention DC is jumping ahead of Gus when DC only has 2 wins at LHW, and against competition pretty much everyone would say doesn't warrant a title shot.

Just putting out the facts.

Kneeuinthenutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #42
Sally Davis

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneeuinthenutz View Post
Consider this.

Look at how the UFC treated Anthony Pettis when it comes to title fights. Someone with 4 UFC fights under his belt and was 3-1 (arguably 2-2.

They gave him a title shot in a division he didn't even fight in out of nowhere, and with absolutely no justification. Then after Pettis got injured and dropped out of that fight, they gave him ANOTHER title shot in another division. Then when Pettis got injured again? They let him sit out for well over a year, while establishing no interim belt while keeping the entire division on hold.

I think Gus may have a legit gripe.

Not to mention DC is jumping ahead of Gus when DC only has 2 wins at LHW, and against competition pretty much everyone would say doesn't warrant a title shot.

Just putting out the facts.
Beating Manuwa doesn't really warrant a title shot either.

This is why I don't have a problem with either of them getting it.

BUT...after all the shit that went down the past 2 weeks, I would much rather see DC get a shot first. Not to mention he's 35 and he isn't getting any younger so the best time to make this fight is now.

Sally Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #43
darticus

Blue Belt

Problem for Gus is as soon as that brawl happened that became the fresh and exciting thing for people to want to see. I honestly believe had that not happened Gus might have got the fight back because that is the fight people would have wanted to see more.

darticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #44
HeexX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Davis View Post
Beating Manuwa doesn't really warrant a title shot either.

This is why I don't have a problem with either of them getting it.

BUT...after all the shit that went down the past 2 weeks, I would much rather see DC get a shot first. Not to mention he's 35 and he isn't getting any younger so the best time to make this fight is now.
Uhm, if you think beating Manuwa is why he deserves one, you must have been living under a rock or something.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #45
Non
Burnt Face Top Team

I can understand why Gus is upset and a lot of fans felt the same thing when Chael was still granted a title shot against Jones despite Machida saying he would've accepted the fight had he known the timeframe.

Gus was the title challenger. He had to pull out and so a replacement was found. Now that the fight is pushed forward, he could fight and feels like the first fight should be made.

Non is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #46
CPH
Let's party

I don't know about that. I'm as big a fan of Cormier as I am of Gus but the fact is that Cormier was the stand-in. If both are available, I believe that the most fair would be for Gus to go first.

That said, I think that Cormier retains his spot. The UFC will probably feel that jerking the fans around left and right isn't a good move.

CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #47
SuperNerd
Season Mode.

Gus' goal is to get the belt, you know that right?

Old 08-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #48
EightyDeuce

White Belt

Put yourself in his position you just lost out on Millions of dollars (PPV, Sponsors and endorsement deals if he wins) and potentially a UFC Belt and now most likely you will have to fight again (maybe a killer like Rumble) before you get another chance at fighting Bones. I don't agree w/ him but can certainly understand his bitterness. He went from the biggest fight of the year to being an after thought in everyone's mind

Last edited by EightyDeuce; 08-13-2014 at 07:49 PM.
EightyDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #49
abracadordosaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightyDeuce View Post
Put yourself in his position you just lost out on Millions of dollars (PPV, Sponsors and endorsement deals if he wins) and potentially a UFC Belt and now most likely you will have to fight again (maybe a killer like Rumble) before you get another chance at fighting Bones. I don't agree w/ him but can certainly understand his bitterness. He went from the biggest fight of the year to being an after thought in everyone's mind
Yeah this makes a lot of sense. He wants the big fight and he wants the belt.