Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #61
blackjackz

Green Belt

vCash: 500
2 points.. first.. I think Brown was a lot more competitive than anyone (including Lawler) expected... This was Matt's first foray into a legit top 10, and I for one thought he was going to be dominated.. Second, Robbie showed enough in the first fight that he deserves the benefit of the doubt... I suspect that we will see a different Johny Hendricks in this fight, and that may or may not be a problem for Lawler... but there is no denying that Robbie has evolved a lot as a fighter and I believe he could very well end up winning the title... While I think Johny is the rightful champ, I just don't see him being a dominant champion, a la GSP... And while I believe that Rory has every bit the claim to a title shot, as Robbie has to a rematch... both Brown and Lawler knew what was on the line Saturday night, and no one can question whether Robbie has earned another crack.. Wins over Ellenberger and Brown give Robbie high level activity, while Hendricks has been on the mend...

blackjackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #62
Mrgoodtrips

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwic View Post
I'm inclined to fully agree, lol. I hope we are both wrong, though.
Me too! It's been awesome Robbie have such an amazing career turnaround

Mrgoodtrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #63
Lincoln Hawk

Red Belt

The fights were similar in a lot of ways. Lawler stuffed all but 2 of Brown's TDs (same against Hendricks). He also threw fewer strikes than Brown but was more accurate and did more damage.

The biggest differences seem to be that Brown was less active than Hendricks - he threw less than half as many strikes and went for fewer TDs. Robbie was also a lot less active than against Hendricks (who landed more strikes than Brown), which might explain why Robbie didn't look tired in the 5th against Brown. The other big difference is that Robbie attempted (and landed) 2 TDs against Brown vs. 0 against Hendricks.

Robbie plays to his strengths - he's a better striker than just about anyone at WW, has excellent footwork and is good at avoiding TDs and getting back up. Hendricks is probably a better wrestler than Brown and has more ways to score. Robbie isn't likely to change up his game at this point, so as long as Hendricks' chin holds up, it is hard to see how Robbie wins this on the scorecards unless the judges approach the next fight differently and start paying attention to damage.

Lincoln Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote